Chapter 1 - Fighting for my life

My clasped hands shook violently, as I prayed that I wouldn't be next. I was never very religious, but it was moments like this that I wished there was someone out there who would see me suffering and do something about it. To hear my prayers and save me. I wanted to know God's mercy. But no matter how many times I had prayed, my prayers were never answered. Hopefully, today would be different.

Around me I could see the others in their cages, crying and praying for the same thing as I was. None of us wanted to be here. But unless someone wanted to buy us, we weren't going anywhere. A static voice came from the speakers over head, announcing that the next round would be taking place soon. Five minutes, to be exact. All of a sudden, the huge man I had come to know as Ace, was casting a shadow across the floor. I felt a frightening shudder run through me, and I whimpered with fear and repulsion as I caught side of his predatory smirk. He walked along slowly, inspecting the boys in their cages on the over side of the room.

My section of the facility was where all the children old enough to fight were kept. Girls on one side of the room, boys on the other. All of us here were between fourteen and nineteen years old. No matter how old we were, we all feared the same thing. Being ripped to pieces.

I discreetly reached through the bars of my cage, my hand taking hold of the girl next to me. Her name was Julie, and despite being the same age as me she possessed an almost child like beauty. She had straight blonde hair that stretched to her hips and charming blue eyes. She was sightly taller than me, no less then five foot seven, and had a delicate frame. She was beautiful even for our kind. Julie had been fighting on and off for the past three years, having managed to escape three out of the four times she had tried. How she had managed to survive for so long was beyond me.

I, on the over hand, had only been fighting for a single season. But even seven months was too long for most kids like me. I wished I was with my parents, far far away from here. We weren't really supposed to make friends with the people that could potentially be the ones to kill us, but like me, Julie had no one else left.

"I hope it isn't you." Julie whispered, squeezing my fingers.

"It probably will be though." I mumbled.

I leant my head against the bars and exhaled nervously. Julie's last fight was yesterday and she had won, earning herself a weeks rest. My last fight was over a week ago, so at any moment my number could be called and I'd be the one entering the Arena, and possibly never returning.

"Don't say that. You think so negatively sometimes." She said scooting closer to the dividing wall between us.

"It's a fight to the death, Julie. What's there to be positive about?"

She sat quietly for a moment, clearly thinking. How could she possibly be thinking at a time like this? "If you win than maybe someone will want to buy you. You could go to a nice home."

"And become someone's pet? No thanks, I'd rather stay with you." I slightly smiled and it felt new somehow, probably because I never smiled.

Julie smiled too, but it didn't reach her eyes. She shook her heart shaped face at me. "I'd prefer it if you left. Can you do that for me?"

"Julie . . . "

"Please. If you ever find a chance to leave this place, promise me you will leave and live for both of us. Please promise me Raven."

I gasped. It had felt like an eternity had passed since anyone had called me by my real name. And then the door of my cage was open. "365, it's time to go." Ace boomed, the devilish grin widening as he looked at me.

There was no time to say good bye, I was yanked out of my cage. I wriggled in Aces' arms as he pulled me away, staring wide eyed at my friend as she reached through the bars. Shining tears stained her pretty face.