Chapter 7 - Sunshine

Following my new mistresses instructions, I found the girls rooms. From the stained glass window, down the hall to the right, then the left. The first two doors directly across from each other. I stood between them now, wondering which door to knock on first as both were closed shut. Secretly, I didn't want to approach Maddison as it was clear that she didn't want me near her anytime soon. But then again neither did Emily . . .

I decided to knock and I enter if they allowed me to. I turned to the door on my right and knocked three times, softly. I could hear the thumping of objects on the floor and extremely hushed music, probably from an iPod. Someone called, "Yes?", through the door, and I knew it was Maddison. I resisted the urge to walk away.

"May I come in?" I asked.

"Sure." She replied, oddly cheerful.

I turned the golden doorknob and slowly entered, trying to behave naturally. The room was a stark white, but already there was some posters on the walls giving it a real teenaged girl feel. There was a huge open suitcase on a bed that was far to big for a thirteen year old, and Maddison was beside it pulling out pairs of shoes and dropping them on the cream coloured carpet. I could here the clearly music now. It was Ariana Grande she was listening to.

I coughed, making my presence known. "Settling in?"

She turned around and for a moment I thought I saw a glimmer of a half smile. That was of course until she realised it was me she was talking to.

"Oh," she droned, the smile fading, "it's you. Thought it might have been Lawrence."

I had nothing to reply with. Nothing intelligent anyway. When she began to unpack again I settled for a simple, "How are you?". She ignored me, of course. I took to twiddling my thumbs and looking around her new room. The posters and photographs caught my eye.

"So you like Maroon 5? They're a great band. Do you have a favourite song of theirs-"

"Get out."

Her abruptness caught me took me aback. My eyes widen slightly, disappointment settling in. She didn't even glance at me. She just kept unpacking, tossing things into her closet in a seemingly angry way.

"E-Excuse me?"

Her voice was as cold as the expression on her face. "I said, get out. I mean, why are you even here?"

"I-I came to see if you needed help unpacking." I said to her.

She turned and glared at me. She scoffed, bitterly. "You mean my aunt sent you here to kiss my ass."

Just as I was about to retaliate and tell her that I had no intention of any such thing, she snapped again.

"I don't want your damn help. Go find some defenceless animal to slaughter."

My body seemed to forget to pump blood to my chest, and my heart seemed to deflate like a punctured tire. I wasn't prepared to say anymore. I left the room without batting an eye. I have never been an intelligent creature, but I know when I'm not wanted. So when I shut the door behind me with a soft thud, it was with the understanding of her message which couldn't be clearer;

Maddison didn't want anything to do with someone of my kind.

There was a loud thump across the hall, followed by a cry of pain. I quickly opened the door to Emily's room. I found her huddled in a heap on the floor of a virtually empty room, sobbing. She appeared so small and alone in a room that seemed to swallow her up. I stepped cautiously across the threshold.