[ 49 ] blood fire

Start from the beginning

       "Yes I do," Clarke replied. "If this truce doesn't hold, I killed Finn for nothing."

       Jinny followed Clarke back out into the cool open air, her eyes scanning the cosmic stars in the sky overhead as she took a deep melancholic breath through her nose. She averted her eyes back to the ground when she noticed that others from the camp had decided to venture down. The Grounders paid no heed to them, the whispers of truce already having spread amongst their ranks. Jinny ran towards Bellamy when she spotted him and wrapped her arms around his waist tightly. He reciprocated the hug, lowering his cheek to the top of her head and she revelled in his warmth.

       "What did the Commander say?" he asked when she pulled away.

       "We're bringing Finn's body to Tondc," she replied. "They want to burn him with their dead. Hopefully, the last demand."

       He nodded in understanding, eyes glancing behind her. She turned her head over her shoulder, finding Clarke speaking with Raven who was shouting at her over Finn. Tears continued to streak down her face, despondence and anger lacing her tone with malice before she stormed away.

       "Raven," Jinny called, catching the crook of the girl's elbow as she walked by. "You're coming with us, right?"

       She nodded stiffly and looked at her with trembling lips and shimmering eyes. "I'm just going to bring Clarke's damn radio," she told them.

━━━━━━━━━━━

       The march to Tondc was depressing. Raven was sitting on the cart next to Finn's body which was wrapped in a white cloth. She wouldn't leave his side. As selfish as it seemed, all Jinny wanted to do was to go back to her room with Bellamy, hide under the covers like they used to do as children and forget about the world around them. She trudged along the dirt road next to him, Clarke walking a few steps ahead of them in a daze. Suddenly, the girl's head snapped up and she stared towards the trees with terrified blue eyes. Bellamy frowned when he noticed her odd behaviour, glancing in the direction she was looking at and finding nothing.

       "Hey," he called, catching up to pace with her and Jinny followed suit. "You doing alright?"

       Clarke started, glancing at the both of them before nodding quickly. "Yeah."

       His lips twitched with empathy

       His lips twitched with empathy. "You did the right thing, Clarke."

       "And I get to live with it," she retorted, repeating Lexa's words. Was Finn already haunting her? Clarke looked at him. "You think this truce is a bad idea, don't you?"

       "I think we're wasting time with politics while our friends are in trouble," he said candidly.

       "We need this truce, Bell," Jinny told him. "We don't have enough manpower to infiltrate Mount Weather."