Stolen Moments

"There's nothing like this feeling

To be free and unafraid."

"Would you like some more tea?" Nancy bubbled as her mother nodded excitedly, holding out her empty teacup. Little Nancy carefully poured her mother more imaginary tea from the beautiful china teapot her father had bought her for Christmas.

"One sugar, please" Mrs. Drew smiled as her red-headed ball of joy poured the imaginary cream into the mixture as well. "Perfect," she whispered, gazing down with a tender love and a deep ache in her chest.

"Mr. Togo?" Nancy turned to her black stuffed dog who sat opposite her mother, "No cream? Yes, sir!"

These stolen moments had been everything Elizabeth could ever ask for, but it was time. Nancy chattered away pouring tea and chewing on imaginary scones made by Hannah, of course. Elizabeth closed her eyes, willing the tears not to fall, not now. Not in front of her.

"Mommy?" Nancy's voice was so small, as fragile as her movements, afraid. She peered up at her mother, but Elizabeth couldn't speak for fear of choking on her words. She looked at her hands, resting in her lap. A tear slid down her cheek, despite her efforts to restrain her emotion. Nancy nodded her head. She didn't have to understand. She quietly set down her teapot, laying the stirring spoon on an unoccupied saucer before wordlessly climbing into her mother's lap, snuggling her head against Elizabeth's neck.

"Hey," Mrs. Drew smiled, "Don't you think you're getting a little big for this?"

"Never," Nancy murmured, breathing in deeply the unmistakable scent of her mother. As her ear rested upon Elizabeth's breast, the child wished she could hear the lively sound of her mother's heartbeat just once more. She had never quite become accustomed to the eerie silence that now filled the woman's hollow chest.

Mother and daughter sat in silence until Nancy spoke softly, "Mom?"

"Yes, baby," Elizabeth all but whispered.

"Why can't Dad and Hannah come to play when you do?"

Mrs. Drew laughed lightly at the simplicity of a child's mind. She didn't have an answer for that. "I guess it doesn't work that way, sweetie."

"They miss you, you know?"

"Yeah?" Elizabeth looked down at her daughter, still smiling her sad smile. She set her chin on Nancy's head, "I miss them too. But I'm never far. Just because they can't see me like you do, doesn't mean I'm not there."

"Exactly!" Nancy smiled broadly, "See, I wanted to tell Dad that, but every time I try to, he just..." Her expression darkened. After a short silence, she whispered, "I miss the way he used to be. It's just not the same without you."

"I know, baby, I know," Nancy's mother held the child tight. "Hey," she stood and Nancy's legs instinctively encircled her mother's hips. The girl rested her head against her mother's shoulder and her fingers traced an invisible pattern on her mother's chest. "Tomorrow's a big day for you!" She carried her child to her bed.

"Yeah! I'm so excited! Dad's been real secretive lately, and Hannah says he's got a really big surprise for me. She's making pistachio cake this year!" Nancy chirped as she slid between the cool sheets on her perfectly made bed.

Mrs. Drew tucked her daughter in, rolling the covers down just under the girl's arms the way she liked it and planting a gentle kiss on her forehead. She knelt beside the bed, setting her head on her hands, folded together resting on the mattress. "Tonight is your last night being seven. How does it feel, kiddo?"

Nancy shrugged, still smiling, "Like any other night."

Such wisdom beyond her years, Elizabeth thought, smiling. Quickly, she asked with the joy of a small child in her eyes, "What do you want for your birthday this year?"

Nancy thought for a moment, "I want..." Her eyes gazed skyward and an expression of contemplation crossed her brow. Her nose wrinkled just slightly and he lips came together in a thoughtful line. Elizabeth couldn't help but smile with pride at her beautiful little girl. That expression. It was like gold to her. "I want a dog."

"You say that every year!"

"But, Mom!" Nancy sat up, smiling, "Maybe I'll get him this year! Hannah did say Dad had a big surprise."

"My little detective," her mother beamed.

Nancy laughed, lying back down as Mrs. Drew re-tucked her. Nancy stifled a yawn as she asked, "Did I tell you about the boy who stole Bess's bottle of glue last week?"

"Yes!" Elizabeth's eyes widened with excitement, "He just wanted to get her attention! How silly!"

"I love you, Mommy," Nancy murmured on the verge of sleep.

"I love you too, baby." Elizabeth sobbed, bringing her hands to cover her face.

Nancy's eyes fluttered open, "Mom, what's wrong?"

"Baby..." she cried silently into her hands for a moment before quickly regaining her composure. She smiled a tight smile after taking a deep breath. "Baby, I can't..." she choked out. Finally, she rushed the words out all at once, "I can't come back..."

Nancy looked up at her mother in alarm, "What do you mean?" She sat up on her elbow, concern etched into her small face.

"I can't come back any more," Mrs. Drew whispered, gazing into Nancy's deep blue eyes. Her hand caressed Nancy's soft cheek. A warm tear slid from the girl's eye and onto her mother's gentle touch.

"But...why?" the child's voice cracked.

"You're old enough to be without me now," her mother answered, feeling as if the heart that was strangely absent in her was breaking anyway.

"No," Nancy moaned, "No, I'm not! I'll never be...Mom?"

"Baby..." Elizabeth couldn't finish. She pulled her daughter into her arms one last time, holding her as if she'd never let go. "I'm so sorry..." she whispered into Nancy's fine reddish blonde hair.

They sat like that for what seemed a short eternity until Elizabeth Drew finally pulled away, backing slowly to the center of the room. Nancy watched as the brilliant wings unfolded behind her mother, a sight that she had learned to love, that she had always drawn comfort from...

"I love you," Nancy whispered through tears, her hand stretched out toward her mother.

"Don't forget what I said," Elizabeth rushed the words, knowing her time was short, "Just because you can't see me..." and then she disappeared, as she had every other night for the last four years.

"Mom!" Nancy jumped up from her bed and ran to the spot where her mother had been only moments before, "No! Mom!" She fell to her knees, sobbing uncontrollably.

And that's just where Hannah found the child the next morning, curled into a ball in the center of her room, her eyes crusted over from endless tears through the night. Just as Hannah pulled her from the daze of dreaming, Nancy almost heard her mother's voice as if from a distant place, "...You have to move on now."