12- 'Because of me'

Start from the beginning

" We have homework?? " now he's wide awake.

" Yes, you didn't do it? "

" guess who's fault is it! ,come on help me "

" okay but only this time since I'm the reason .
I'm gonna tell him that we had - by coincidence- the same dream about my father's hometown in Texas ,see " I showed him the painting before the teacher reaches us.

" it's good. did you draw it? "

" No, Kevin did. "

" but couldn't you think of another reasonable lie! " he adds.

" it's not my lie, it's Kevin's "

" No wonder " he rolled his eyes.

While I was about to tell him what to say , Mr.Ted stood in front of my table.

" Well miss Ella, where is you homework? "

" Sir, Rayn did his homework with me because we once had the same dream about my dad's hometown in Texas. " I showed him the painting and prayed for the best.
He stared at it for a couple of minutes then he surprised me by his reply.

" Miss Ella, Mr Rayn, you are true geniuses. How did you think of this great idea, combining both of your dreams to come up with such a beautiful, breathtaking painting... "

I didn't know what to say but Rayn throw out a smart lie " well sir, our grandfather used to draw in the past so we asked for his advice."

" That's an excellent, creative idea.
Both of you A+ on your final grade." He confirmed with a big smile. I felt relieved.

" Thank you sir " Rayn said.

While I was winking Joy and enjoying the moment, Britney slapped the table and pointed out.
" Sir ...that's not fair, why don't I get an A+ ?"

" Because not everyone meant to do art. " He reasons. Mr. Ted is officially my favorite teacher.

She was furious " how can you talk to me like that! I'm Britn... " Joy interrupted her babbling.

" We know who you are. Enough with the drama, you are not gifted, get over with it. " she said in a sarcastic tone.

" Okay let's continue our class . " the teacher said then he explained what we have to do for the next 30 minutes.

After art we had Math then English literature, when the third period ended Joy, Rayn and I went to the cafeteria to sit with Max.

" Hey guys, how was your day so
far? " Max asked while eating his fries.

" like usual " Rayn answered him but then Joy stared at him giving him a small glare .

" Rayn, how can you say ' like usual ' when you two got A+ on art.
You should know that no one has ever got this grade before , you impressed Mr.Ted " Joy seemed pissed at his reply.

" seriously dude?? " Max said.

" yes Max, but now eat up " I said to him, then remembered that I should ask Rayn about his father so I whispered in his ears.

" Rayn, where was your father this morning ?"

" oh, yes it's today, he must be there " he muttered.

" Rayn? "

" Today is a special day for us, I will take you there when the school day is over " he announced then opened his phone and showed me a beautiful picture of a young girl and I assume her mother, but he didn't say anything, I guess he just want me to remember them.

" What are you two mumbling
about? " Joy pointed out with a smirk.

" What, what? did I miss something? " Max cried.

" it's nothing you guys, Rayn just asked me ....what's for dinner. " I seriously need to improve my lying techniques.

" You two are no fun " Max said then we continued chatting and so after the break we returned to our classes.

When the school day ended Rayn and I went to were he wanted to take me but I still have no idea where are we going, I didn't even get the chance to see off Joy and Max.

"Rayn where are we going, we have been walking for 20 minutes! "
I felt tired because the road wasn't paved.

" Ella, just be patient we are almost there. " he said that and kept on walking until we reached an old cemetery .

For my surprise I saw Veer, standing next to a big grave, crying.
" Is that your father ? " I wanted to make sure.

" Yes, now come " he grabbed my hand, again it felt really warm, and headed to the big grave.

" Ella...? what is she doing here
Rayn? " Veer suddenly asked with tears and confusion in his eyes.

" I wanted her to know, it's not a secret and you know that" Rayn reasons.

There was an awkward silence that I didn't like. " I can go, if it's more comfortable for you. "

Veer looked at me and gave me an intimate smile " No ,that's okay . Rayn will tell you everything "

" Thanks Veer. " he just went to his car without saying another word.

Then I turned to look at Rayn but I saw him crying. I'm weak to these situation, especially if a guy cries.

" What's wrong " I asked .

Rayn looked at the grave " This grave belongs to the two girls in the picture that I showed you earlier, and they are our family, My mom and big sister. " he gently puts his hand on the grave and continues" Hello Mother, big Rose. I miss you, it's been years now "

Then he fell silent for almost like 10 minutes and I felt helpless ,miserable​ didn't know what to say.
So I neared him and wrapped my hands around his wist from behind.

"Rayn, you sure love them right? " I whispered behind his back.

" yeah,but I'm not sure if they love me back " he counters with a sight, and I'm still holding him but he doesn't seem to resist it.

" and why is that? " I asked.

" Because.... they died because of me "

He look like he is about to bury himself next to them, so I released him, grabbed his wrist and sat on the bench.
" Tell me " I looked into his teary eyes.

I wanted to know what happened, help him and I know that talking about something you don't usually tell to anyone can make you feel less stressed and comfortable. I wanted him to open up to me.

" Well, like I said it's been a year since that faithful day.... "