chapter 41

I reapply my lipstick for the fifth time in the mirror before walking back into my room. My heels lie strewn next to my bed and I slowly bend to pick them up. To say I am nervous is the understatement of the century. I haven't been to a proper party in a long while so suffice to say my shopping experience was a bit of a disaster. I spent three days searching for the perfect dress only to pick the simplest black one I could find. It flatters me though, clinging close to my body like a second protective layer.

God knows I'll need it if I'm to survive the night.

I slip my shoes on just as there is a knock on the door. Glancing at the clock, I see it's just passed half seven. I grab my phone and purse, checking to make sure everything is accounted for. I reach the door and open it to find Louis standing there dressed to the nine's. I involuntarily gasp at the sight of him and try to cover it up by coughing loudly.

Although the blush on my cheeks surely give me away.

"Holy shit you look stunning," he says to me before I can get a word out. My cheeks grow hotter and I feel like I'm suffocating with how warm my body is.

"Thank you," I manage to choke out. "You look great as well." This was the biggest understatement in the history of understatements. He looks like a Greek god in his dress shirt and slacks and my inappropriate thoughts run rampant.

We exchange tentative smiles before he holds out his elbow for me to take. "Shall we head out, malady?"

I can't help the giggle that escapes me as I step out the door and into the hallway. Instantly my nerves calm and I feel more like myself. Louis leads me to the lift and we ride down in silence. Once I spot his car, I stop at the sight of a smooth, freshly painted exterior.

"You got it fixed!" I say, rushing over to touch the outside.

"I did." He says. "People kept telling me driving around with dents and scratches wasn't attractive."

We hop in and speed away. The silence in the car doesn't make me feel uncomfortable and I'm grateful. The radio plays softly and I reach to change the station at the same time as Louis does. We look at each other and laugh. I withdraw my hand and to my surprise he shuts it off.

"I just want to say thank you again for coming with me tonight. I know it's not going to be easy for you but it means a lot to me."

Guilt stabs me in the heart for a second but I try to squash the pain. I had debated cancelling on him because I didn't have to courage to tell him how I feel. I battled with myself for days and I visited my mom's grave twice trying to talk myself out of it. In the end, however, I decided he was more important than me being a wimp.

"I want to apologize for how I acted last week. I should not have put my personal feelings in front of yours. This is important to you, so it's important to me. I'm proud of you, Louis, I really am, and I want to make sure you understand that. The way I acted was—"

"If you say unprofessional I will pull over this car right now and throw you out," Louis interrupts me, his voice low. I pause for a second and choke on the word.

"—selfish and it won't happen again." I finish calmly. Louis shakes his head and I bite my lip to keep from grinning.

"I forgive you."

That breaks the tension that was starting to build. I laugh and slap his arm. "Oh do you now? That's all you have to say to me? After I just poured my heart out to you?"

"You and I both know that was not pouring your heart out. But if you care to do so, I'm listening."

Instantly the tension comes back in full force and I clench my hands together. My brain is overloading with the words he knows repeating and it's all I can do to keep myself from opening the car door and tumbling out.