[ 44 ] mirror opposites

Start from the beginning

       "Get off him!" Bellamy shouted, pointing his rifle at Nyko threateningly.

       "You slaughtered my people!! Elders! Children. Innocents."

       "Nyko, stop, you're killing him," Octavia pleaded, grabbing his sleeve in an attempt to pull his arm away.

       "Blood must have blood!!"

       Finn was starting to choke and turn red, his wheezing breaths quickly filling the dropship, and Bellamy cocked the charging handle warningly. Jinny frowned when she noted that Finn wasn't even struggling, but stepped forwards impassively to jab Nyko in the side with her baton. There was a zing from the electric charge and the large man crumpled to the ground in pain, dropping Finn immediately.

       "Lincoln..." Octavia gasped, her eyes falling on his still body. It was only then that they realised the cabin had gone unusually quiet and she quickly knelt beside him. "He's not breathing!"

       Clarke rushed forwards to resuscitate him, pressing the heel of her hands against his sternum with repeated chest compressions. "No, hang in there, Lincoln," she cried as the seconds drew longer and he hadn't taken a gasp of air yet.

       "He's still not breathing!" Bellamy exclaimed anxiously.

       "Clarke," Jinny called, charging her baton and the girl looked to her with wide eyes before backing away with a nod. She thrusted the end of her charged baton into the middle of Lincoln's chest in the hope of shocking him into asystole. His torso raised and fell back to the floor with a thump, then he was gasping with an intake of breath as his heart started back up. Octavia fell back with a sigh of relief, squeezing her eyes shut to stop more tears from leaking out.

       "He was dead..." Nyko said in astonishment, watching as Lincoln continued to wheeze. "How did you do that?"

       "Oh, it's pretty simple when you know the science of it," Jinny replied without much thought. "The dose of electric current acts as a countershock to the heart, depolarising the heart muscle and ending dysrhythmia."

       "Jin." Bellamy raised an eyebrow and shook his head in amusement.

       She blinked at him. "What?"

       Clarke turned around to look at Nyko with a frown. "You've tried bringing Reapers back before?" He nodded. "And they died like this?" Another nod.

       "What is it?" Bellamy asked when he noticed the look of epiphanic awe on the girl's face.

       "I know how to stop the attack," she declared.

       "Nice," Jinny commented with a pause. "Uh, how?"

       "They must want their people back," Clarke told them, gesturing towards Lincoln. "They just couldn't figure out how to save them from the withdrawal. If we can show them how, in exchange for a truce..."

       "Our people will live," Bellamy concluded. "And we can get back the others in Mount Weather."

       Clarke nodded to them with an excited smile.

       "Except one problem," Jinny said, turning to Nyko. "We'd need an audience with the Commander."

       "The Commander will be there," he said confidently, his dark intense eyes gazing back at her. "She will meet with you."

━━━━━━━━━━━

       Jinny watched the flickering pinpricks of flames in the distance, shrouded by the inky darkness of the black night that engulfed them. The army had arrived to Camp Jaha, boasting a thousand strong. She adjusted the black militaristic uniform of the Ark Guard that David had given back to her after hearing that she was representing them in front of the enemy's commander. It fit her like a second skin, the tough polyester material complimenting the straight edged posture that she had honed for years. Jinny turned her back on the horizon, walking briskly next to Major Byrne as they made their way to the conference room.