montpelier, vermont.

Jughead

In the soft spoken suburban town, north of the "Mad River" in Montpelier, Vermont; a boy of only the age of sixteen sits in contemplation, eyebrows knotted together biting his plump bottom lip. A single cigarette resting between the tips of his index finger and thumb of his left hand, staining them a coal colour.

"Jughead!" His head snaps to the left at the sound of the high pitch voice, black hair wavering slightly from the sudden action. He flicks the cigarette onto the ground and steps on it lightly as his little sister, Jellybean starts to pull on his right hand. With a reluctant spring he arises from his crouched position. Allowing the seven year old to guide him home.

He stumbles in through the front door, sighing as he notices his father sprawled out on the couch, alcohol bottles lay like flowers on a grave all around him.

Immediately, he lifts him up carefully, carrying her to his bedroom, cautious not to trip or step on anything on the ground. Once he is safely in his bed he closes the door and begins cleaning the house.

"You can't catch me! I'm too fast!" another high pitched voice screams out, A small girl followed by two small boys sprint past Jughead.

With a stern expression and a raging headache, he growls with a deep tone, "Cherry! Kade! Deklan!" Within seconds the three are standing in front of their eldest brother, heads down and hands behind their backs.

"You can play here with JB but, please, don't yell when our mother is asleep, do I make my self clear?" He slides down so he's their height, murmured "sorry's" and "yes, Juggy" are the only things heard.

One by one, Jughead takes their cheeks in his hands and give their foreheads light kisses before dismissing them to go play.

Once they are out of his line of vision, he gets lights a cigarette and places it between his lips as he fishes the bag out of the bin, tying a knot in it and then continuing to take it out the the big rubbish bin.

As he opens the door, a boy is already standing there, looking just as surprised as him.

The dark haired boy places the bin bag on the ground next to him, taking the cigarette out from in between his lips.

He gives the other lad a good look all over, wondering why such a bright person would be at the Jones residence.

His dark eyes trail from the auburn curls, down to his mocha coloured eyes, flickering down to his thin lips but glance over them as if he didn't notice them. He takes in how the boy is standing, hand tightly gripping the fabric of his jacket, standing solid as if he's been taught to.

And as if he had been reading his mind, the smaller lad smiled widely, his eyes sparkle with wonder. Jughead was almost captivated, almost.

"Hi! I'm Archie Andrews, I, I just moved in across the road, uh, hi?" The Australian accent surprises Jughead and that, is what captivated him finally.

He takes a long, hard drag from the stick before giving the boy another look as if thinking what to reply with. After a few good seconds, Jughead flicks the cigarette behind the bright figure. He lowers back down to pick up the rubbish back, pushing past Archie.

Archie lightly squints his eyes, murmuring to himself how stupid he just sounded, before turning around to watch the strange, dark haired lad do his duties.

As Jughead walks past him back inside the house, he turns around and looks straight into Archies's dark eyes.

"Jughead."

And then the door was infront of his face.

"Jughead" Archie whispers to himself, turning swiftly to walk back to his house with a grin.