ten.

WASHINGTON D.C.
2014

BEFORE June even had a moment to regain her breath, the Winter Soldier attacked.

He kicked her squarely in the chest, sending her staggering backwards, towards the edge, nearly forcing her off the carrier entirely. But with perhaps the sheer force of will, June managed to regain her balance. Barnes charged for her, but she ducked beneath his punch and locked one hand around his fleshed wrist, twisting his arm unnaturally and driving her knee once, twice, three times into his stomach, manipulating him further from the ledge. In a spout of rage, the Winter Soldier ripped his arm free from her hold, uttering a sharp, indignant shout of pain in doing so. His inhuman hand rose, and he struck June across the jaw and. She went sprawling across the concrete, palms scraping against the asphalt, rolling ungracefully in a crumpled heap. Sam, who had taken off as soon as she was on board, realized a fraction of a second too late what was going on.

"June!" he cried through the comm. "Do you need help up there?"

June slowly lifted her head. She laid spread-eagled upon her stomach, her entire body quivering with pain and unpreparedness as the salty flavor of blood washed over her tongue and a distinct ringing in her ears persisted. Her gaze flitted up, and not fifteen feet away, the soldier began to prowl towards her.

"No," she grimaced, struggling uneasily, painfully to her feet. "No, just get Steve up here. Don't worry about me."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," her voice was strained, an ache blooming throughout her chest, a bruise spreading across her cheek. She spat out a mouthful of blood. "Go."

Her knees shook. The throbbing in her side was unceasing. The pain was dizzying. But she thrust out her arms and her daggers slid from their sheaths to be clutched within taut fingers, and she steadied her stance and raised her weapons and stared down James Barnes with the ferocity of a lion.

"Ty znal yego, serzhant," she said lowly, switching her language once she was sure the Winter Soldier could hear her. You knew him, sergeant.

He did not reply. He did not even appear as if her words had reached him. He took a fraction of a step forward. But like an archangel soaring down from God's left hand, Sam reappeared, with Steve dangling in his hold. June was immediately flushed with relief. While he was still in the air, Steve vaulted his shield at the Winter Soldier, the weapon spinning, cutting through the atmosphere with the speed of a bullet. It struck him in the chest, and with this momentary distraction June seized her opportunity and ducked out of the soldier's sight, crouching behind a stockpile of ammunition storage containments. Their triumph was short-lived. Within moments, the Winter Soldier regained his savage rage and was withholding none of his power. June peeked behind her barrier, just in time to watch Barnes land his boot in Steve's chest and send him soaring over the side of the helicarrier.

June clamped a hand over her mouth to silence the outcry that brewed in her throat; the only advantage she had over the Winter Soldier was that he seemed to have forgotten about her for the moment.

Sam, however, did not restrain his outburst. "Steve!" he shouted in panic, diving after him at once. Sam did not get far. In a fluid movement, Barnes thrust up an arm and, clutching a device June had no name for, aimed a barbed cable at Falcon's right wing. The hook buried itself in Sam's steel feathers, and with a great display of strength, the assassin yanked him sharply back to the ground. Another heave, and the wing was torn off entirely. And still that was not enough, for before Sam had even a moment to gather himself, Barnes leapt forward and struck him in the chest and drove him over the edge of the carrier just as he had Steve.