Chapter 36: Old Friends, Old Enemies

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Of course, the Resurrection stone can bring back loved ones from the grave. That's why you're all here,"

"Yep. You always were the smartest of us,"

Harry beamed as Ron leaned in and kissed Hermione's forehead,

"We'll all be here for you love, kick Voldemort's arse for us, yeah?"

"But...what if I don't want to go back?"

"That's all up to you, I guess." Harry stayed with a slight shrug, "but you definitely don't belong here,"

"At least not yet," Ron added last minute, "you'll see us again love, I promise. But right now, I think there are some jolly good blokes who need your brains,"

Laughing tearily, Hermione wiped at her eyes,

"You always did have a peculiar way with words, Ronald. B-but how do I leave?"

"Well, the best way to exit someplace is through a door," Harry pointed across the room, "and there it is. Don't worry about us, Hermione, we have plenty of books to read in here. Maybe I'll even be able to convince Ron to read Hogwarts: A History?"

"Not even in death, Harry Potter, will either of you read my favorite book," Hermione rasped, still fighting valiantly against the tears rolling in thick ribbons down her face, "promise I'll see you again someday?"

"Promise," Harry made an X over his heart while Ron jerked a thumb in his direction,

"Yea, what he said,"

"Then I guess this is goodbye," hugging the two boys once more, and placing a final kiss on her past boyfriends lips, Hermione made her way towards the large door. Turning around one last time, the Library was empty besides two boys playing wizards chess across the room. Smiling, and somehow knowing she would see them again, Hermione turned and passed through the heavy doorway•

Hermione returned to consciousness with a gasp, her eyes snapping open towards the ceiling as an immense pain flooded into her head. Groaning and clenching her teeth, the young witch grasped the Elder Wand with one hand, while feeling the back of her head with the other. It felt as through the ceiling had come crashing down on her, and based on the rubble lying at her feet, that's precisely what happened.

Leaning on one side and clutching her tender scalp, Hermione could see a broad figure standing before her with a gleaming sword in hand,

"R-Remus?"

The werewolf twisted around rapidly, and Hermione could see the tears running down his face, and the disbelief which filled up his eyes. At his feet was a pile of black ashes, no doubt what remained of Nigini, "...you killed it?"

"Hermione! Gods I thought I lost you,"

Remus dropped the sword with a clatter as he fell to his knees beside his girlfriend, physically shaking with relief as he took her up in his arms and held her tight, "bloody hell, please don't do that again. Never, ever, again,"

"What happened, exactly?"

"I-I came running around the corner and the snake...and you...and-and then things were falling-"

Hermione took hold of her boyfriends arms and clutched them tightly, trying desperately to halt his nervous shaking,

"Remus, its alright. I'm fine...perhaps a little tender, but fine,"

"I thought you were dead,"

"I thought so too for a while. Here, help me up,"

Grunting slightly, Hermione sifted as Remus got to his feet, hauling the young witch up onto his shoulder as she held her wand and pushed some hair behind her ear, "where is everyone?"