Chapter 5: A Snake in the Lions Den

Hermione walked swiftly beside Professor Minerva McGonagall, chasing her Emerald green cloak-tails down the hallways of what would be a future battleground. Even as they strode closer and closer to Gryffindor Tower, Hermione could hear the screaming as faces flickered across her vision. This particular part of the Castle - Hermione noted to herself - had collapsed during the first wave of attack, as it wasn't as heavily warded as the Great Hall or Library. So as they flew towards the familiar set of limestone steps leading up towards the portrait hole, Hermione scanned everything with her eyes, committing every nook, cranny and alcove to memory.

'I won't be forgetting this place a second time,' She whispered in her head, feeling the new Gryffindor patch embroidered onto her robes. It certainly felt good to be out of her green socks, but Hermione still felt slightly tainted by the Slytherin Dungeon. Shaking her head and sighing heavily, Hermione had to take the steps two at a time to catch up to her Professor, whom was already standing and waiting at the entrance.
The Fat Lady had yet to move into place - Hermione concluded upon arrival - and in its place was a man in shiny silver armor. Channeling her inner Snape, the new Lioness pinched the bridge of her nose and groaned ever so slightly. She certainly knew Sir Cadogan, as he was constantly challenging students to duels and changing the passwords of Gryffindor Tower during her Third Year.

"Miss Black, this is where you will be staying from now on. I am the Gryffindor head of house, so if you need anything come to me,"

Hermione nodded her understanding as McGongall turned to Sir Cadogan,

"Wound Heartstring,"

The man in armor nodded, laughed happily and moved aside,

"Please enter, my fair ladies," he stated.
Not changing her neutral expression, Hermione followed her Professor silently into the Gryffindor Common room. It barley changed since the last time Hermione had been there, though everything seemed a little newer, and there were some different portraits on the walls.
During the Final Battle, the room had fallen in on itself, as it was heavily targeted along with Ravenclaw Tower by the Death Eaters. Hermione knew that many students had been trapped inside, and were unable to be saved by any form of magic. Suppressing her urge to shiver in discomfort, Hermione pushed back the emotions threatening to rear up,

"Ahem! Can I have your attention please! Can I have your attention!"

Hermione looked up from her shoes (which she had turned to inspecting) surprised to find every pair of eyes on her. And they weren't friendly eyes either. Every stare was narrowed and dark with hidden malice, similar to the way Slytherin's looked at Gryffindors,
'So much for inter-house unity' Hermione scoffed in her head, keeping her chin from falling as McGonagall called for attention,

"Due to some very special circumstances, students, Miss Hermione Black will be staying here in the Gryffindor Dormitories for the rest of the year,"

Hermione felt the hate only grow as McGongall continued with her little announcement,

"I expect you to treat her with respect and kindness. And I won't hesitate to take points for any bad behavior towards her. Is that clear?"

The room was stoic as many heads nodded, and there were a few deep growls and grumbles. Swallowing thickly, Hermione felt the Professor's hand on her shoulder,

"It might take some getting used too," she said softly, though it lacked any hint of the compassion Hermione was used to receiving from the future Headmistress, "just give it time. Don't cause any trouble,"

Then McGonagall was gone, emerald cloaks waving in a very Snape like fashion as she disappeared out the portrait hole. Now alone, Hermione turned and saw the eyes all pointed at her.
She felt like a butterfly in a glass case, pinned and being observed. She was a literal snake in the lions den. Though her lack of words didn't seem to bother the Gryffindors, as several of them up and left the room in a flurry of anger. Others simply turned, ignoring her presence all together as they stiffly continued what they were doing.