16- GIVE IT YOUR ALL《August 2, 1899》

Start from the beginning

"We're your loyal employees." Jack put his other hand on his chest as I continued.

"We would neva take our business elsewhere."

"That old printing press in the cellar..." the same secretary from before said.

"Ohhh," the other secretary muttered. She quickly backed away as Pulitzer started stalking towards us.

"I made you the offer of a lifetime. Anyone who does not act in his own self-interest is a fool." Pulitzer repeated.

"What does that make you?" Davey accused him again. "This all began because you wanted to sell more papers. But now your circulation is down seventy percent. Why didn't you just come talk to us?"

"Oh, 'cause Grandpa Joe don't talk to nobody like us." I sneered, pulling myself away from Jack and walking towards Pulitzer.

"But," Jack added. "A very wise girl once told me bein' a boss don't mean you got all the answers, just da smarts enough to snatch da right one when you hear it." We all turned to the window when we heard singing.

"Now is the time to seize the day. Stare down the odds and seize the day. Minute by minute that's how you win it. We will find a way but let us seize the day!" We walked towards the window and Pulitzer pulled the curtains back.

"Have a look out there, Joe. In case you ain't figured it out, we got ya surrounded," I taunted. Me, Davey, and Jack waved down at our boys.

"New York is closed for business. Paralyzed. You can't get a paper or a shoe shine," mocked Jack.

"You can't send a message, ride an elevator, or cross the Brooklyn Bridge. Hell, you can't even get out of your own office." I laughed at Pulitzer.

"So, what's your next move Joe?" asked Dave.

"Mr. Pulitzer!" A third secretary ran in, out of breath. "The mayor is here, along with the reporter Denton, and... you'll never believe who else!" In walked four people.

"Good morning, Mr. Pulitzer, I think you know the governor," said the mayor.

"Governor Roosevelt!" Pulitzer gasped.

Theodore Roosevelt walked over to him chiding, "Joseph, Joseph, Joseph...What have you done now?"

"I'm certain when you hear my explanation, you'll know exactly-"

Roosevelt stopped him. "Thanks to Miss Medda Larkin and Denton coming to my office, I already have a thorough grasp on the situation- Graphic illustrations included!" He showed Jack's illustrations to the rest of the room. I quietly grasped Jack's hand in my own. "'Bully', is the expression I usually employ to show approval, but in your case, I simply mean 'bully'!" The governor pointed to me and Jack. "And are these the children of whom you spoke? How are you, kids? I'm told we once shared a carriage ride." He laughed loudly and held his hand out for a handshake.

"Pleasure's ours, Mr. Governor," I stated as we shook his hand. Jack turned back to us with a shocked look on his face. He held one of his hands in the other and Dave laughed at him.

"Well, come along, Joe. Don't just stand there letting those children sing... endlessly. Give them the good news!"

"What good news?" Pulitzer asked.