.1

it's 9 o'clock on a saturday, regular crowd shuffles in.

•-•

josh dun loved his job.

however, most people don't expect josh to love his job. for he was a bartender at suzy's shack. you know, that old bar that's smack in the middle of downtown new york? always hectically busy, people coming in at any time of the day for a decent drink?

josh commonly returned back to his musty apartment reeking of alcohol. he'd always be drenched in sweat from the heat of the bar, so many bodies always crowded in it at once. most wouldn't find his job an enjoyable experience, not at all. but, like all people, josh had his reasons for loving that classic bar downtown.

no, he didn't love it because he was always able to have a beer. he didn't love it because of the outrageous tips he received, especially on busier nights. he didn't even love it because of the pretty girls who would flirt shamelessly with him as he made them their drinks.  nope, none of these were the reasons at all.

he loved it because of the music.

suzy's shack was not only a popular bar, but it was also a place where fresh new bands or other musical artists started out. there was a large platform right across the room from the bar counter, people of all sorts going up and pursuing their passions.

josh saw the desperation on their faces. they all longed to be successful, for their hard work to be paid off. he saw their longing to hold more concerts and have millions of fans. josh saw them. he saw all of them.

and he loved seeing it.

the amount of hope these people had gave him hope, that one day, he'd maybe decide to leave this old bar and pursue something even bigger.

like the drums.

now, josh had talked to his father about this. all he got in response was a long lecture about how 'the show business never works' and that 'he might as well quit while he's ahead.' needless to say, this resulted in many arguments between the two. most people infer that those arguments and his fathers judgement was the reason he and josh no longer talked, but josh never seemed to comment on it.

so technically, nobody really knew why.

but anyways, even throughout the doubts and arguments, josh stayed true to his dream and didn't doubt for a second that it would happen. he was a very positive person, always paying more attention to the finer things in life. he was the friend who always poked you in the shoulder multiple times just to show you a caterpillar on the sidewalk.

so here josh was, wiping off the counter  of the stained wooden bar, waiting for the lights to dim and center on the stage. he heard that somebody new was coming to perform tonight.

this was always an exciting thing at the bar. some bands had played so much they were 'regulars' there, and others had just turned up a small amount of times, but still more than once. sadly, not everyone in the world happened to have the time to pursue musical dreams, so it's not like suzy's had new performers all the time.

dodie, a kind-of friend of josh's and a waitress at the bar walked up to him, empty shot glasses on the sleek black tray she carried.

by kind-of friend, i mean her as the one person you talk to rather formally. you exchange your polite 'hello!'s from time to time, and you'll sometimes sit and have an actual conversation with them. for the most part, these conversations are more or so about their lives and how things are going, they're never anything too deep. josh and dodie were kind-of friends, and they were both fine with that.