The Smiths and Jones Part Two

~~~~~ The Gemstone's POV ~~~~~

We were looking for Martha, careful of avoiding any Judoon, when she nearly trampled the Doctor.

"We've restored the backup. Well, mostly Gem, but I helped," the Doctor corrected himself as I glared at him.

"I found her," Martha cried.

"You did what?" I asked her again, but suddenly noticed that people were running past us.

A leather clad creature, a slab, broke through the door Martha had came out of moments earlier and started towards us. "Run," the Doctor and I both shouted and grabbed his hand. Martha was about to hold the other, but the Doctor ignored her and we started to sprint away from the slab.

We had to jump over patients and avoid tripping over fallen equipment, but we managed to get to a stairwell and trample down the steps by threes.

A pair of Judoon met us at the end of the first set of stairs, immediately turning us the other way and through the doors leading to the fourth floor.

We dashed through the empty halls as fast as we could, the slab right on our tails. We turned a sharp left and slammed the door of the radiology room with us behind it and the slab on the other side.

"When I say 'now' press the button," the Doctor commanded me.

"I know how to work a daft little radioactive machine, sweetie," I laughed and left him to his hasty work on the equipment with his sonic. Maybe I should get a sonic screwdriver, it was pretty nifty since it was a little more powerful than my ring. I shuffled Martha into the safety area and rested my pointer finger on the button I needed to press as the slab started pounding it's weight into the door.

"Now," the Doctor shouted as the slab splintered the wood of the door and rushed towards the Doctor. I slammed my fist on the button and the radiation surged through the almost camera-like radiation machine and through both the Doctor and the slab. Their bones showed as if they were having an x-ray and the slab slumped down and fell.

"What did you do?" Martha panted, winded by the run we had earlier.

"Increased the radiation by 5,000%. Killed him dead," the Doctor sighed and stared at the slab.

"Nice wording, dear. 'Killed him dead,' is surely going to be the quote of the millennium," I joked and exited from behind the safety glass.

"But isn't that going to kill you?" Martha worried and stayed behind the glass. I smiled at her obvious question, of course a huge dose of radiation would kill a human, but we weren't human, were we?

"Nah, it's only roentgen radiation. We used to play with roentgen bricks in the nursery, though he would always end up throwing them at me, he was a bloody idiot," I chuckled at the memories of the Doctor throwing the bricks at me and his would-be-wife. Though I didn't enjoy thinking about the Doctor's past life before he started to talk to me. He had a beautiful wife and children, even grandchildren before his family died and we fell in love. "It's safe for you to come out now, he's absorbed it all in that empty head of his," I tried to coax Martha out to interrupt my thoughts.

"All I need to do is expel it," the Doctor started panting with effort as he tried to direct the radiation. "If I concentrate, I can shift the radiation out of my body and into one spot," the Doctor hopped up and down and shook his head furiously. "It's in my left shoe," he hopped on one foot and started muttering encouragements to himself. "Out! Out. Ow. Ow," the Doctor exclaimed and kicked his left foot out, still hopping. He was making a show out of it, bouncing around and shouting out in pain. "Itches, itches, itches, itches," he complained.