"Hello." I said back, because hi and hey aren't very professional. "Are you Mr. Carter?"

"I am. Can I help you?" He asked. Inwardly I winced. I knew how this was gonna go.

"Yes, I am here to pick up a gelding that you wanted trained." I said politely.

"I was under the impression that Mr. Harley Garrison was coming to pick up the horse." He said, looking slightly put out.

"Yes, you are correct--half anyway--Ms. Harley Garrison came to pick up the horse." I said, trying not to let my annoyance through.

Mr. Carter blinked at me. "You're Harley Garrison?" I mock bowed. Yes, I was aware that this was not the best idea, to antagonize him, but honestly, it's in my nature to cause trouble.

"Have been for almost eighteen years." I told him smartly. He just continued to blink at me.

"I expected someone older. And male." He said blandly.

"Because that wasn't obvious by you saying Mr. Harley Garrison." I said, leaning against a stall. He seemed amused.

"You know, your really not helping yourself by being sassy." I was already looking him in the eye, but I hardened my gaze.

"Mr. Carter, if you have a problem with my attitude, I'd advise you to find someone else to train this horse. I've better things to do, than dance around you, just because you're paying me. My being sassy is part of the package, so take it all, or none of it." I said, calmly. He just stared at me.

"Call me Tobias." He said, holding out his hand. I didn't miss a beat, and shook his hand.

"Call me Harley. Where is this 'untameable beast' I've heard so much about?" I asked, looking around. Tobias smiled at me and gestured me to follow him.

Outside, there was a small corral. Inside the corral, was a chestnut gelding. He had no markings on his face, but three of his legs had socks of varying heights. He had big, calm brown eyes, and his ears were perked toward us.

I approached slowly. He didn't look like an "untameable beast", but I knew better than to assume something based on looks. He sniffed my offered hand. I stroked his cheek, and heard a throat clearing behind me. Stepping away from the horse, I turned to Tobias with a raised eyebrow.

"That's the first time I've ever seen him let someone so close--without a struggle." He looked impressed. Reluctant, but impressed. I smiled politely.

"And these people, were they all men?" I asked, turning back to the horse.

"Yes." Tobias answered cautiously.

"What's his name?"

"Thunder Clap." I smiled. Fancy name. People do tend to name simple things fancy things, don't they?

"Who named him?" I asked.

"I did." He sounded defensive. I rolled my eyes conspiratorially at Thunder Clap.

"With your permission, I'd like to give him a sedative."

"Why?"

"Because, he'll be easier to handle for the half hour ride back, where it's just me and my horse." I said. "That is of course, if I'm hired?" I turned back to him. He looked confused.

"I thought you were going to train him here?" I almost laughed.

"And ride a half hour here and back, not to mention how ever long I'm training him?"

"I could pay for a room at the hotel."

"I have other things I need to do at home. I can't stay here for however long it takes to train Thunder."

"Well, I'm not comfortable with him going somewhere I can't visit him." I shifted awkwardly for a moment. I hated this part.

"Mr. Carter, you can't visit Thunder for a few days at least." There are two words to describe the look on Tobias's face.

Not. Happy.

"Why not?"

"Because, I need to figure out where the problem is, what habits need to be broken; I can't do that if someone is going to come after every session and possibly erase everything I've taught him. It's not fair to him." He gritted his teeth. "Tell you what. How about when Thunder is ready, I'll come get you, and you can stay in my guest house, so I can teach you what not to do with him." He nodded slowly.

"That might work." I stuck out my hand.

"So, we have a deal?"

He nodded and shook my hand.

I couldn't help but notice how warm and solid his hand was.

Hello, peoples! Thank you for reading this far! You are all awesome-ness!

So. May I recommend, reading Stupid, Chauvinistic Werewolves?

Also, what do you think of Tobias? Do you think I should make up a cast?

Mind you, I've never actually done this before, so. . . .

Vote! Comment!