Chapter 12 : Not Lost

Start from the beginning

"Then don't assume that living as a lycan is better than dying a human." His voice had lost most of it's edge, body seeming to have settled and the beast tamed back into it's cage I'd managed to rattle.

Seeing Gray's side of the argument wasn't hard. Being one of his kind was difficult in a degree I'd never be able to understand in full since I wasn't burdened with their curse, and allowing a kid to bear such a thing was worse than death. I understood his opinion, but it was just that, an opinion. If David were executed, he'd never feel anything again, whereas if he was given the chance to overcome his new being, he'd have a future to live.

"He's just a child..." He'd not had a chance to live at all.

His shoulders lowered, his features softening. He wasn't heartless by any means, which was why I still couldn't grasp why he wasn't protecting David. He truly believed that death would be a better fate than living with lycanthropy. Did Gray wish that for himself as well? Why even bother surviving if it was that terrible of an existence?

"I know," he said. A silence settled between us, but not built on tension. We were at a stalemate, a final standing on the subject. Yet everything still felt so loose-ended, unfinished. I wasn't used to not coming out of a battle with a clear victor. So when he turned from me and again began to head to the forest, it was pure reaction to reach for his wrist and stop him.

What was I expecting from stopping him from leaving?

Glancing back to me, Gray offered small smile, but not one of happiness, more one given as reassurance. "I won't be long," he assured. So he wasn't leaving—wait, was that why'd I'd caught him? Because I'd believed he was walking away for good? "It'll lurk the woods and edge of town for days if it's not taken care of." Oh, of course, the feral. He was going to get rid of it.

"Before dark, then." I released his wrist. His smile changed slightly, seeming to gain an actual trace of meaning behind it, before he gave a nod and returned to his task at hand.

After watching his back for several steps, I decided it was time I do the same. David needed someone in his corner to help him cope, especially if the poor boy had to be around Simon, and there was not a chance in Hell someone would be there if it was not me.

There was no avoiding the stares or ignoring the hushed tones of my fellow villagers as I made my way home. I had felt the sting of gossip nipping at my heels time upon time before, but this wasn't simple gossip. It near felt hostile—no, it was. I could see it on their faces, hear the edge to their lowered voices. These people, the people I considered to be mine in ways, were not as such anymore. Had it not been for fear of the recoil that would come with harming me, I was sure someone, if not all of them, would have made a motion to cause harm to me or worse.

They were animals preparing to turn on one of their own. And they thought themselves better than lycan?

They withheld their desires, if only barely, and I reached my home, but even upon doing so, I still felt judgment being cast from near everyone of the men and women that worked on my father's grounds. These were folk who'd helped raised me, who'd helped protect my entire family, and still they couldn't manage to see my side of things—see that I had done nothing but defended a child's life.

Walking to the door that would lead to the lower levels of my home, I started to reach for the handle when a guard stepped between it and me. My eyes went to his. "Rodrick, step aside," I commanded, the same sharpness that was in my eyes in my voice.

"Orders from the Lord, Mi' Lady," he told.

"What exactly did he say?"

"Ta not let you near the kid; said it'd be safest for you to no longer be involved, Miss." Of course my father would believe that; I wouldn't argue Father may be correct, but he knew very well there was no chance I'd just step back. I was going to see this through to the end, whatever end that may be.

"Oh, but of course, I agree with him." I offered a quick smile. "The boy is not the one I wished to see." His brow furrowed, and his head tilted to the side slightly. He wasn't going to connect the dots unless I gave another for him to link, the poor man. "Heard she'd been asking for me..."

Eyes widening and face turning pale before tinting red at the cheeks, Rodrick put a finger on just whom I was going to the lower quarters to see.

"I...I still don't think--"

"Rodrick, are you really about to deny a girl to visit her own mother?"

"I...no, of course not, Miss." An awkwardness had took hold of the guard, and refused to let go as he near stumbled out of my way. His eyes stayed to the ground; he wouldn't meet my gaze directly for days, I bet. It was a low move on my part to use Mother as an entry ticket, but desperate times...

"Good man." I pulled the door open and began my descend to the lower quarters, to the imprisonment cells. Again, I felt the stick of shame crawling at my skin, but this time I knew exactly why. I had lied, yes, but it wasn't the lie that bothered me. It was the fact I didn't have the gall to do what I'd claimed to be doing. I couldn't force myself to go see her...

How could I? She had stopped being my mother long ago. Shake it off. Stay focused. But David, he wasn't lost—not yet. He could still be saved...and I would do just that. I'd save him, even if I couldn't save her.

----

A/N: Long over due, I know! Not only that, but this chapter was a bit short... I'm super sorry about that! I wanted to cut it off before Anna gets back to David, and open up the next chapter with that stuff :). I have been the worst, leaving you guys without answers--answers that I do, in fact, have! So know, this story does have it's plot set up and worked out XD. I know the answers to most of your questions, and I hope to be able to write up more chapters soon for you all!

Please vote if you liked this chapter! Also, I adore comments, questions, and all of that! 

Thank you all for being such amazing people, and thank you for giving my story a chance!