The Mating Season

Start from the beginning

"Tea would be nice. Thank you," he smiled.

I nodded and smiled back at him, going into the kitchen to fetch his sweet tea. I came back to find him looking at pictures on the wall, which were of me. I had professional pictures taken of me for my birthday. I can honestly say I looked good that day.

"These pictures are really good. Was there a special occasion?" he asked, a small smile creeping at his lips.

"It was just for my birthday," I stated proudly.

"How old did you turn?"

"Seventeen."

I went over to him and handed him his sweet tea. When he went to grab for it, our hands touched. I felt something. It was like...sparks. Or maybe I'm just going crazy..or no, because maybe he felt them too. Because as soon as our hands touched, he looked taken aback. He gasped lightly and I just looked into his dark eyes, questioningly.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Uh-yes I'm fine. Just give this to your father for me, and thank you for the tea," he said quickly, and then walking out of the door.

I looked at the envelope that he had given me, and I guessed it was just a letter for my father.

I set it down on the kitchen table and went upstairs to my room, to do some homework since tomorrow was Monday.

A couple of hours later, I heard the front door open and I knew it was my parents. I ran downstairs and gave my mom and dad a hug.

"Hey pumpkin," my dad said.

"Hey daddy, how was work?" I asked.

"It was great. Just long and tiring."

"Oh okay, well some guy dropped this by," I said, handing him the envelope. 

 He looked at it, and then his faced turned into a glum, dark expression. 

"Honey, go up to your room so that me and your mother can talk," he stated.

"Yes sir," I looked at mom worried.

I went to my room and shut the door behind me. I sat on my bed and turned on the TV, but then my curiosity got the best of me. I went to my door, and slowly opened it.

"They think we are too old to protect our daughter from rogues anymore. They want us to join their pack, the MoonStar pack," I heard my dad speak. "She needs to start looking for her mate anyways. She is always at parties and needs to understand that she is about to become a young adult. Maybe it isn't such a bad idea."

"I know honey. We only want what is best for her, but I'm just scared about how she will take it," mom said. And she was right, I didn't even know how I was going to take it. 

"Honey, come down here right now. I know your listening," I heard dad say.

I took a deep breath and walked down the stairs.

"Would you be okay if we joined a pack?" dad asked.

I took a deep breath before speaking.

"I've never interacted with any other wolves, and I don't know what it would be like to be in a pack," I said.

"We can't protect you like we used to, sweetheart. We are getting old and it's getting harder to change into wolves. I really think it would be best to be in the pack," my mom said.

I took a deep breath and thought about it.

"I guess it would be okay," I said. "Will we have to move into the pack house?"