chapter one

CHAPTER ONE

Athena woke up with a groan to Finnick playing with her hair

Athena woke up with a groan to Finnick playing with her hair. She gave a small smile, until she realized what today was.

"We have to get up, A. We need to get dressed for the reaping."

"No. I just want to lay down here."

"I promise you, right after the reaping I'll find you okay?"

"Okay." She whispered

Finnick brought her into his chest again, hugging her tightly, not wanting to let go. He felt a small wetness on his bare chest, causing him to look down.

"Athena, don't cry." His eyes softened seeing a couple tears managing to spill out.

"Sorry." Athena sniffles, looking up to Finnick.

"I promise I'll find you, alright?"

"Okay." She whispered.

"I have to go okay? I'll see you in a bit." Finnick placed a kiss on her forehead, before crawling out of her bed and heading home to get ready.

Athena's mother walked into her daughters bedroom, giving Finnick a small smile as he exited past her.

"Athena, sweetie, you got to get up okay? The reaping is starting in 40 minutes."

"Yes, mama." Athena gracefully rolled out of bed, and followed her mother to the closet. Her mother pulled out a white dress, accompanying it with with a pastel pink piece of cloth that would tie around her waist.

"Go take a bath, make sure to scrub off any dirt. Do not forget under your nails. I'm going to make sure your sister looks presentable. When you're done put this on along with some white socks and your black dress shoes."

"Okay, mama."

"I love you sweetie." Her mother kissed Athena's forehead, before tending to her ten year old daughter, Hazel.

"I love you too, mama."

Athena drew herself a quick bath, making sure to scrub off any dirt like her mother told her, cleansing her hair as best as she could. After, she got dressed into the outfit her mother laid out for her.

She walked into the little kitchen they had, pulling out an apple for her breakfast. Her mother walked into the room, holding Hazel's hand. Hazel wore a blue blouse paired with a beige skirt that fell to her knees. Her hair was down in loose waves, two small braids that met in the back. Her mother took a look at her oldest, motioning for her to come over. Athena put down her apple, walking over to hr mother.

"Let me do your hair." Athena nodded, sitting down, her mother behind her. She took out a brush, running it through her daughter's locks. She then parted Athena's hair, putting it into two french braids.