Meaning of Life

Edward, Anne, and Alphonse were once again on the train headed for the Eastern Command Center. They had just recently made a stop at the mining town of Youswell. They had discovered, after getting kicked out of the inn because they were State Alchemists, the citizens of the poor town were being overtaxed by their military overseer as well as being paid too little.

In the end, the siblings overthrew the overseer, First Lieutenant Yoki, by tricking the greedy man in to giving them the deed of the town and mines which they then sold to the Head Miner Halling for the price of a stay in his family's inn.

As the train rode on, both Edward and Anne gradually started to become sleepier and started to nod off, but being the stubborn people they are, they refused to let their eyes close. Alphonse noticed this.

"Nii-san, Nee-san," he said, "you two should take a nap. You haven't slept much lately and we still have an hour and half to get to East City."

"What? No, no, I'm fine," Edward said.

"I'm not tired Al, stop worrying," Anne said.

Right on cue, both alchemists yawned, and Anne leaned forward in her seat. Alphonse quickly grabbed her, and as soon as Anne had unoccupied the seat, Edward leaned over to his side and fell asleep on the entire train seat. Soft snores were heard as the two blondes fell asleep.

Alphonse sighed. "Silly Nii-san. Where's Nee-san supposed to sleep now?"

With another sigh, he carefully moved Anne around until she rested bridal style in his arms making sure that her head didn't hit any of his many spikes. He glanced outside, noticing the many grassy hills under the afternoon sun. Hopefully they can get to East City without any problems.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

The door to the Elrics' carriage was suddenly kicked open. Three big men with rifles, crying, "Get your hands in the air!" stormed in and took aim at the innocent passengers. Everyone raised their hands quickly, some with fear in their eyes- everyone except Edward and Anne. They remained sound asleep, Edward splattered all over the seat and Anne curled up like a cat in Al's arms. Al didn't wake them, in fear it caused the armed men to start firing.

A strong-jawed member of the team noticed the sleeping blondes' and the armored man's lack of response and went over to them.

"You can sleep pretty well at a time like this, kids," he said, then prodded Edward with end of his gun. "Wake up!"

His demand was answered by Edward mumbling something and Anne shifting at the loud noise.

"I said wake up!" the man cried, hitting Anne this time. "You flat-chested shrimp!"

That woke both of the Elrics up. Edward never missed an insult at his height or his sister's chest, even when he was asleep. Silently fuming, they both stood, and giving the man no time to react, Edward quickly clamped his hands on the barrel of the gun. The man's eyes widened when blue lightning flashed from the boy's hands- and the barrel of the gun changed into a crude trumpet.

"What the?!" the man screamed looking at the gun turned trumpet. "Why you little-," Edward slammed his left foot into the face of the rebel. He gave a cry of pain before falling to the floor.

Alphonse face-palmed in annoyance and sighed.

Before the golden-eyed alchemist could continue his assault, one of the rebels moved in and raised his gun to his head. "You got spunk kid. We're told not to give any mercy to anyone that resists us. I don't feel right about shooting a shrimp like you, but…"

"Now, now calm down you two." The youngest Elric calmly said, lifting the man's hand and pointing the gun to the ceiling of the cabin. "There's no need for- NEE-SAN!"