A Burnt Red Thread

In the midst of a great war.
We can lose anything. Anytime. Anywhere.
Even there's situations where you just being alive is already a miracle.

6th of August, 1945.
Hiroshima, Japan.

She gulped. She hold the price tag.

The goods sold in the markets are fewer and fewer as a great war rages on. Prices goes up like rockets.

A single 15 year old girl stared at a price tag of an accessory. A pretty red ribbon with wave designs on it. She always liked this, it's just that it's very... very... expensive.

4000 yen.

She would rather use those money to eat. She is indeed-- kind of poor.

She sighed. She put back the accessory. The shop is a bit empty as well. The woman who took care of the shop is by the cashier desk. She's eyeing on the girl, but she expects her to not buy anything... again.

Then, a single boy entered. He dons what looks like a trainee military uniform. His short, black hair reaches only his neck but not his collar. He is a tall fellow, indeed.

He stood beside the girl, looking at the wide variety of ribbons.

He took one. It's green with leaf designs on it. It's the same price with her red ribbon-- 4000 yen.

"It's hopeless..." she thought. She eyes the earlier red ribbon and took it. Her money is right at 1000 yen. She looked down.

"Do you want that?" The earlier boy pointed. The girl glanced to him in confusion.

"Uh, um... n-not... really..." she stuttered. She silently hopes this boy will help her in some way.

"Here," he takes it off her hand.

"Hey, wait!"

He walked to the store owner. "Ma'am, two of these, please."

"Is it a gift, young boy...?" The owner smiled warmly. "It's 8000 yen, dear..."

The boy gave a 10.000 yen bill without hesitation. He received 2.000 yen. The girl stared at him, and the tall boy returned to her.

He put back the red ribbon on her hand.

"Here." He smiled.

A stranger that helps someone like her.

What he sacrificed is a whopping 4.000 yen.

The girl stared at the red ribbon she always adored, she hesitated. Should she even receive this? Or not?

When she raised her head, the boy is gone.

"Ah!" He's right outside. It seems he's in a hurry.

"W-wait!" She goes after him. On the side of the road, just outside the shop, she caught the boy and pulled his shirt from behind.

"Yes?"

The girl blushed. She grips his shirt. The boy stared at her in confusion.

"U-um... th... tha--"

A loud, deafening siren suddenly rang. The girl got confused of what's happening. "????"

The boy glanced upwards and spot a plane at the sky. It left a trail of smoke. Soon, the siren stopped.

"It's just a plane." The boy assured.

"But I'm sorry, what did you say again?" He smiled. The girl blushed. She had to say it again. Darn, that earlier siren ruins her will to say it now.