Chapter 3

Weeks passed, and the new boy, Logan and I became quite close. It turned he lived in the house next to mine and everyday when I'd get up for school I'd see his Aunt wake him up with breakfast in bed and than run off crying which always confused me. His mornings seemed so much more pleasant than mine. When my mother entered La Fosse, she had no one to take care of me. So the government gave me to a home that seemed suitable to them, but it's not, nor is it close to suitable. Logan would swing down from the tree branch, which was perfectly perched at his access, and head to school.

Today, as he was swinging down, he caught my eye, as I watched him through my window, and by doing so, something happened. It was almost like something was burning me. I looked down and it was the necklace I had gotten as a child, the one we all had gotten. I gasped from it burning and took it off, to stop it from burning through my skin. I took it off, a rule, the rule, that we all had agreed to. Don't take the necklace off. I quickly realized what I had done and tossed it back on, and clasped it, the burning gone. I was shocked by what had just happened, and my actions, breaking the one rule everyone followed.

I wake up to my Aunt, giving me the same breakfast in bed, her telling me that my mother favored this delightful dish, and me shooing her off to tears. Same old morning, same old day. But these past weeks had been a little different, more special. I made a friend, a friend that is a girl, named Grace, and we had grown very close. She made me want to go to school and learn, just because I would see her. Conveniently she lived next door, in a pale yellow house with a bright blue door. I got dressed, ate breakfast, and grabbed my bag.

I headed to the window and started to swing down the tree when I looked up and caught Grace watching me. A sudden burning on my chest made me let go of the branch to rip of the thing that was burning me, but in doing so I feel. I hit the ground with such great force that my necklace was flown off and I groaned as I started picking up my things. The burning was gone. I went over and scrambled to find my necklace, for it was a rule to not take them off. I found it and as I went to grab it I noticed it was the color of ambers, and it went away. I closed the fasten around my neck, and limped to school, curiosity seeping in to my brain from my new found knowledge.