Just Like Buddy Holly

The only way he got through the plane ride was by letting every ridiculous loose thought fall past his lips. A steady stream of consciousness flowed from his mouth throughout takeoff. No one knew what was happening, no one knew why he wouldn't stop talking. He knew that if he stopped he would scream, the words kept the terror of flying at bay. They weren't natural. Airplanes weren't, he couldn't accept that he would be in America soon and that he was miles above land and that if a tiny thing went wrong he would die.

"Just like Buddy Holly"

Four words and the others knew what was happening. Of course he had to think that. Of course he had to say that. His voice was slowly sinking out of the plane and falling to the earth below.

"Just like Buddy Holly"

The sounds of people talking were slowed and warped before they could reach him. He had found a new song before he understood that they were trying to tell him something. His barrier broke and the words reversed, speeding up and spinning around his head before finding his ears and slipping into his understanding.

"Breathe"

Why did people spend all their time talking for just that one word. If he had stopped breathing he couldn't be alive for much longer. He was already dead when he set foot on that plane.

"Just like Buddy Holly"

He really should stop talking, him saying the same phrase repeatedly couldn't be healthy for his friends. Maybe he should tell them the song he found. That's all he ever did, find songs. Everything worked that way, every painting and word and poem and idea existed, if you were clever enough and lucky enough you could find one and tame it and call it your own when truthfully they owned you, just like cats.

Except for Stuart, Stuart created his paintings from nothing and wasn't controlled by them.

He himself was controlled by every song and poem and drawing he was unfortunate enough to encounter in his mind, spending all his life rebelling and not realizing that he was being controlled by the rebellions he created. That's what his words and drawings were, personal rebellions.

A/N it turns out there's another story by the name of "just like Buddy Holly" I've read the story at least once before so that's probably where I got the idea. I'd like to give "girlwitharubbersoul" credit for inspiring me (: