6. Éclair Escape

Once my feet hit the ground, I bolted. My legs led me to the one place I knew was safe. With Freddy and Guno dead, there couldn't have been anyone else dangerous there.

The savages must've distanced themselves from the fire, right? I looked around, relieved to see none. The rocky path was the same one Mary dragged me down to get here. Although I didn't pay much attention to which direction we were going, I was sure I'd end up back in town... eventually.

So, I kept sprinting forward. Rocks found their way into my shoes as I went. Even though I wanted to stop and rest my feet, something kept pushing me on. Whether it was adrenaline or Mary and Bonnie's last words, I didn't have time to find out. If I stopped now, they'd be disappointed. Keep going.

I continued despite the cheers and screams from behind piercing into my ears. Grass blades scratched my skin while I quickened my pace. My eyes shifted their focus from the ground to the road before me. The city wasn't anywhere close and I was going too fast. Soot clung to my rotting skin and my breath grew shallow from the scorching heat. What if I passed out before I got there?

Before I could ponder the thought, a loud crash echoed in the barn's direction. I skidded to a halt, even when my mind screamed to never look back. A hopeful voice pleaded that they somehow made it out safely. Hesitantly, I whipped my head back.

The sight of flames swallowing the barn whole made regret and disgust twist my stomach in knots. I sank to the ground with my hands over my mouth. Bile rose to the back of my throat, but I swallowed it back down. Watching the vivid orange and red hues reduce my temporary abode to ashes was too much to bear, yet I couldn't look away. The blaze's dance held me in a horrified trance.

I closed my eyes and exhaled. Smells of burnt wood and flesh infiltrated my nostrils while more of the savages' laughter found their way to my ears. I bit my lip at the sound. When I tightened my fists, pebbles wedged between my fingers. Mary and Bonnie would've been safe if those damned savages were dead.

After giving myself a moment to calm down, I stood. However, someone's raspy voice stiffened me before I could turn around.

"A civilian like you shouldn't be in these parts, Miss," the man said. His voice sent shivers down my spine. Shit, I got distracted!

Regardless, he assumed I was a civilian, which meant I had to play my part. I was still under the radar. But, how was I supposed to trick him?

Rubber boots shifted when he grunted. "Hey! You deaf or somethin'?"

"N-No, Sir!" I spun towards him. A full beard came into view, so I looked up to meet his eyes. "I was just distracted by the fire over there. It's a little dangerous, dont'cha think?"

The savage crinkled his painted nose. "We're good. More importantly..." he paused to lean down with a smirk. "Do you realize what sector you're in?"

Scratching my head and peeking around him, I eyed the particularly sharp machete strapped to his back. I faced him again, brows risen. "Uh... this should be 642, right?"

"No, it's 598. How the hell did you miss that?" He sighed. I noticed him glance at the wounds in my arms, but he didn't mention them. Instead, the savage licked his pierced lips. "You're in our territory, which means no laws, toots. However, I could take you back... for a price."

"I'll pass, thanks." A grimace cracked through my poker face at his arrogant tone, but I quickly regained my composure. I had to choose my words carefully. If I messed up now, I'd be minced meat. The thought on its own made me avert my eyes and gulp. Could I really pull this off?

He took my silence as an opportunity to step closer. Not long after, his warm index finger slid down my shoulder. "Oh, you're pretty cold on such a hot day," he commented.

Another gulp, coupled with forced giggles. Acid drifted down my throat when my starving eyes watched him trace circles on my skin. "I-I'm always cold."

"Really? Huh." His hand fell back to his side. "Name's Dib. You?"

I reached behind me to grasp some hair instead of answering. Before I could push it over my shoulder, the savage grabbed my hand midway. He brought the bundle to his nose while scrutinizing my face with unwavering brown eyes. Once he took a long whiff, a sigh emitted from his lips.

I looked to him then to his pants, cringing back in digust. "What the fu―"

"You wouldn't be cold if you just escaped a fire, would you?" Dib let the strands fall from his fingers before slightly lifting his chin. "You wouldn't smell like smoke, either."

My jaw dropped as I took a few steps back. "Y-You don't have any proof," I argued, even if it was futile.

At that, Dib wagged the finger that touched me in my face. It was covered in soot, just like the rest of my body. He had me cornered, and all I could do was curse at my stupidity. Between grieving for the two who looked after me and running for who knows how long, my energy was depleting. Yet Bonnie and Mary's lives cut short forced a growl out of me.

The savage wiped his hand on his white undershirt and scoffed. "You're pretty cute, but I'm not into necrophilia." Dib gripped the machete's handle. "Don't worry; I'll slice you up all nice and pretty like."

I really should've stolen that pitchfork.

When he lifted his weapon up, I waved my hands in defense as a last resort. "Wait, wait―can't we talk this out? I'm a sentient being!"

Dib chuckled, stained teeth glimmering from saliva. "Afraid not. The damned have no place in this world." He spat phlegm my way. "You all are nothing but scum. We just clean up."

...Scum? Memories of Mary's sweet smile flickered in my head. The girl whose body was now cremating by her mother's side, all because she was dead and a little different. Him being a part of the tribe responsible for their untimely deaths drove me into a trembling frenzy.

"S-She isn't scum!" Footing regained, I pointed to the barn and stared holes into my feet. "Back there was the only place she could call home and you took it away without a second thought," I argued. Voice cracking when I continued, "You aren't doing anyone any favors―"

The savage cut me off with a drawn out yawn. "I have to say, you're getting pretty boring. Mind shuttin' up?" He tapped the side of his blade on his palm. "I ain't interested in hearing your prattle."

My fists wouldn't stop shaking. Meanwhile, Dib tossed the bloody thing from hand to hand like he was playing hot potato with himself.

"But seriously, why are you so pissed?" Another damn laugh. "Corpses are just pathetic sacks of decaying meat. Plenty more where that one came from."

Not sure why, but seeing his smug ass insulting them―no, us―gave me relief beneath my silent anger. At that point I felt less guilty over whether or not Freddy and Guno died. Mary's dignity was more important. Besides, savages were cruel to anyone who got in their way, dead or alive.

"Ah, I get it!" Dib's face brightened up, though the way his eyes shone proved how dark his true intentions were. Chin held high and lips curled into a leer, he exclaimed, "You were in there for another piece of trash, 's that it? Bitch's prolly long gone by now."

A deep breath seeped from me. When my gaze locked on the savage, I relaxed my body by thinking of the chocolate tucked in my pocket. Mary said the dead should smile, so I gave Dib the best one I could muster. Right before lunging at him.