Chapter XXX: Dances and Dames

Start from the beginning

"I cannot wait to learn," I finished my glass, "and thank you for introducing me to this drink. You have opened my eyes to a whole new world."

Her expression turned thoughtful. "If you want to widen your horizons, you can try another version of this beverage," she swirled her own glass, "with a few more ingredients, this juice can be even more potent than red wine."

"Which is what I presume is in your glass," I noted dryly.

She raised her glass to me again. "But of course."

***

An hour later, I was becoming concerned.

"Where is Kat?" I asked Tess, "it is customary, is it not, for me to dance with all the Potentials before I dance with the rest of the Ladies?"

It was the first time in this Potential Quest that a Potential did not attend the Ball on time. The other Ladies and gentlemen were welcome to come when they please, although they liked to be punctual for my sake.

Truly, I was not angry with Kat. Like Julie, she had the tendency to defy conventions to bend to her will, and I admired that.

Speaking of Julie, however, it was indeed strange that I had not seen her at all day. She would usually inform me before she ventured into the villages in a duchy, but I supposed she did not wish to disturb me when she saw me conversing with Tess.

"Harrington has a penchant for making grand entrances, Your Royal Highness," Tess chuckled, "worry not, she will be here soon."

"All right. Oh, and do you know where Julie is?" I asked her, puzzled, "I have not seen her all day. All her Captains are here on duty, yet she is not with them..."

Was it merely my imagination, or did her smile freeze on her countenance?

"Jules must have lost track of time gallivanting around Roche, Your Royal Highness," she laughed before I could ponder on that moment, "both her best friends are with her now, after all. Would you like to dance again before Harrington arrives, Your Royal Highness?"

I nodded, and took her hand, when the heralds on the top of the stairway stomped their sceptres thrice, demanding the attention of everyone present in the ballroom.

We paused in our tracks, waiting.

"Announcing Lady Katherine of Johanne, Lady Alyssa of Louvre and Lady Juliette of Bordeux, Lady Knight of Monrique and the Commander General of the Monriquan Armed Forces!" they cried admirably in one breath.

Three, radiant women strolled towards the top of the stairs from the side door, and paused for a moment, before they began to descend gracefully down the stairs.

I heard Tess suck in a sharp breath beside me, as the whole Ballroom plunged into awed silence.

However, my eyes were drawn to only one of the trio, to the woman in forest green, whose hands rested tightly on the arms of the women on either side of her.

Her rich, golden curls were glowing with the light from the chandelier as they lay unbound over her right shoulder, and her huge kohl-lined hazelnut brown eyes were shifty, almost uncomfortable with herself. Her pale cheeks were high in colour, and the scars that marred her left cheek only added to her beauty, a part of her true, dangerous self.

Her rosebud lips were trembling slightly, no doubt with nervousness. The faded, forest green gown she wore hugged her curves in an hourglass manner, and accentuated her height.

I blinked once. I blinked twice.

Impossible.

"What is she doing here?" I vaguely heard Tess whisper under her breath.