A Few Good Men

Zacznij od początku

Elena looked hurt by my words but she wasn't deterred that easily and kept talking about her. "Jenna told me that Alaric's wife was also named Isobel." She told me.

I was getting irritated at her persistence about the subject and snapped at her. "Seriously, Elena, just... what do you mean 'was'?" I asked when I finally picked up on her past tense. She looked at me sadly before she found the courage to tell me. "She died a few years ago." I froze and stare at her in shock.

Elena took out her phone and showed a picture to me. It was an old photo of two teen cheerleaders posing together. "That's our mother, she was a cheerleader. Must run in the blood." She said sounding happy about it.

I look at her photo and was getting swayed a little just from seeing what she looked like. I quickly hand the phone back to her. "What did you think you would get out of this by showing me her photo?" I asked her.

Elena was fidgety for a moment. "I was hoping you'd come with me to Virginia." She said and I looked at her with the 'are you kidding me' look. "Do I look like I'm siked to go find out who she was?"

Elena slumped her shoulders at my rejection. "Come on. I know you hate her but you have to understand it must have been difficult for her to raise us. She was still young she had to get her life back together." She tried making excuses I didn't want to hear.

Why is she even trying to explain in our mother's place?

I sigh deeply. "Look, it's not like I'm unreasonable, I know that. A teenage girl raising two kids is hard enough but what I don't understand is why she didn't come back for us all this time. It's been 17 years and not once did an 'Isobel' walked into our lives." I told her the reason for my being upset with our mother.

Elena looked sad and didn't say anything, she was determined to know who our mother but I crudely shot her down. I felt bad for saying all those things to her and sighed heavily at the decision I was about to make.

"If you want to find out about her so badly... then I'll go with you." I told her and she literally lit up like a christmas tree. "Thanks." She smiled brightly.

I returned a half smile.

~ ~ ~

Moments later we were getting ready for our trip, Stefan came over once he got the phone call from Elena. He came over as soon as she told him where we were going because he was worried about us. We were in Elena's room and she told him everything she knew from Jenna.

"Alaric's wife might have been your mother?" Stefan asked confused.

Elena sighed at the truth because it was too hard to believe it's just a coincidence. "It can't be true, right? I mean, the coincidence alone is just crazy." She turned to him and showed him a post-it note with the address of Isobel's friend. Trudie Peterson. "We have the address for her friend Trudie." She said.

"You wanna talk to her." Stefan said getting the picture.

"She does." I said raising my brow boredly.

Elena was confused herself and walked over to her closet to hang her coat. "I don't know. I...I--I don't know. If it's true and they are the same person, that means that my birth mother is dead, and I don't know if I could handle that." She said.

Stefan walked up to her. "Elena, did Jenna tell you anything about Alaric's wife? How she died?" He asked. She shrugged and shook her head. "Just that she was killed and the case was never solved." She answered him.

He didn't have much reaction to the news so I look at him with a furrow. "You knew that already, didn't you?" I asked. Stefan looked at me and nod. "The night at the school when I went to get the journal Alaric told me some things about her death." He said, Elena and I exchange looks at each other.