You Don't Know How to Let Go

(Emory's POV)

It had irritated me how precise Henry needed to be with everything! Every blade had to have just the right end and grip! I guess I had no room to complain, though. His preciseness could just be the thing that saves us some point during this voyage.

"Emory, do you think this will be enough?"

"Yes, it's perfect!"

"You're just saying that, aren't you?"

"No! Of course not! It looks perfect!"

"If you say so," Henry muttered, checking out.

Agnes must've been getting so bored just waiting for us.

"Cmon," Henry called, making his way out of the shoppe, holding the door open for me. 

Except, once I had gotten out, Henry was wide-eyed. That couldn't be good!

"What's wrong?!" I stammered.

"Agnes! She's gone! She told us she'd stay exactly where we left her! Perhaps she's just taking a walk? Getting a drink?!" Henry panicked, desperate for an answer.

"No, Agnes listens! She doesn't go against anybody! We shouldn't have left her out here alone!"

"Do you suppose it's her mother, Angelica?!"

"I hope not! We have to get back to Jack and inform him that she's missing!"

"Yes, and quick! Where would this Faithful Bride be?"

"Follow me!"
_
(Agnes' POV)

"Let her go! I shall take her with me."

My mother was about to grab me by my arm until I catapulted myself back, damned if I would want her help. Instead, I was able to hoist myself up off the blackened slate floor.

"Follow me." She ordered.

"Why would I do that!"

"My dear, please."

I hesitantly followed, making sure I could feel my knife at the bottom of my boot. I was led to a darker room, only one lantern cascading the room.

"Word is you've been sailing on the Pearl."

"Who wants to know?" I muttered, making sure my eyes didn't meet hers.

"I do."

"And why, mom? Just so you can screw me over like you did when you left me! I had nothing after you left! I was eight!"

"I know, and I am sorry, but know my dear that I left for a reason."

"Treasure? Gold? Whatever it was, it was far more important than me."

"No. It was so I could build a better life for me—for us."

I scoffed, knowing there was no truth to my mother's words.

"Us?! You never came back to me! Never! I stayed in Tortuga all my damn life till a month ago! So how could you even say us!"

"Agnes, my pollito, I also left because I knew I wasn't a good enough mother. I left to change!"

"Don't call me that! Then why did it take so long?! It took you seven years to become a good mother?! Let's face it, mamá, you're only here because I boarded the ship, and you want to know what papá is after!"

"That couldn't be farther from the truth! Agnes dear, I want you to join me. Let us be mother and daughter once more! I know I've let you down. But now, there is nothing we can't do together."