23 - when the clock strikes 12

Start from the beginning

"Talking to Lydia again?" Holden asks. He knows they're trying to be friends, but he also knows Jake wants to be more, and Lydia's seemed to move on. Austin was teaching her to be a better version of herself the way she taught Jake too.

Jake shrugs. "She's going to prom with Austin," he spits out the name with distaste.

Holden chuckles a little. He never expected Lydia would even give Austin a chance, but they're inseparable now. He can see she's happier, and being both her and Jake's friend he can't really take sides. All he can do now is try to set Jake up with someone else.

"Prom's not going too well for us," Holden laughs, running a hand through his hair and closing his eyes.

He couldn't escape Trevor's promposal to Harper. It was all over twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, even TMZ. He didn't see the big deal--it wasn't that creative. But it's not the presentation that was the big deal, it's that it was Harper Caldwell. Holden couldn't help but blame himself. He helped make her so popular and now he has to suffer seeing her even beyond school and at Elijah's house.

Jake rolls his eyes. "Fuck prom. Let's get high."

++++++

"We have to get going," I giggle.

I smooth my dress out; a floor length black gown with a thigh high slight on the side and wrap detailing on the waist that showed small, symmetrical cut outs of my stomach.

"Just one more picture!" Aunt Lindsey pleads.

I roll my eyes; Elijah and I exchange looks. Trevor places his arm back around my waist and I reposition myself for the picture. I look up at him and he smiles down at me. Little unwanted butterflies form in my stomach and I quickly look away back to the camera.

"Say cheese!"

Only Becca actually says cheese. The rest of us just smile silently for the hundredth picture tonight.

"Okay!" I say the second the flash goes off. "Let's get going."

Trevor grabs my coat and helps me into it.

"Have fun!" Aunt Lindsey calls as we head out the front door. "Make good choices!"

++++++

Holden sits with his head in his hand, staring at the counter as he tunes out the low sound of Teen Wolf playing on the living room tv, waiting for Jake to come back with Five Guys.

He hasn't cried over her since they broke up. Crying made him feel pathetic, idiotic. He can't remember a time he'd cried when he was younger and his dad hadn't told him to "toughen up."

He hasn't cried since they've broken up, but sitting here alone, thinking about someone else's hand on her waist, sulking in how much he misses her, completely depressed him. The fact that it makes him want to cry makes him feel weak. Feeling weak just pisses him off and makes him angry.

His eyes flicker over the envelopes he'd pushed to edge of the island and he closes his eyes and groans loudly, just as the front door is pushed open.

"Holden?" Charlotte asks worriedly. She wrinkles her nose at the skunk-like smell that's encompassed the suite.

Holden's red eyes open to take a quick glance at Charlotte before falling closed again.