One

My parents died when I was fourteen, and man, was I thankful for that. My old man ran out on my mom when I was three, I've never seen him since, not that I remember him. My mom turned to alcohol for all her problems, her boyfriends lasting about a week each before they got their money's worth of her before leaving. Her and one of her boyfriends, whose name, I believe, was Henry, died in a collision with a drunk driver after a party. Before I could bat an eye, I was thrown into an orphanage. The girls were meaner than my own mother, so I adapted to their cruel behavior. All I remember was the mirror. I can't even remember where I found it, it was just there.

Everything changed from there. Believe me, the 1960's could be considered heaven compared to the 'present'.  I never wished to go back. The orphanage, New York in general, was horrible; now that I'm seventeen, I wouldn't be able to go back anyways. People don't want teenagers anyways.

I don't know how long I've been living in Tulsa. Two-years now? It's been good. It's been real good. 

I read 'The Outsiders' when I was young, and it was always my favorite book. You could say I memorized the story, the whole plot-line. I came to Tulsa a year before everything happened. I think you can guess what that 'everything' is, right from the 'Nightly Double'.

It's hard acting like you've never met someone when you know everything about them. I remember it being a quite awkward for the first few weeks around the gang. They still don't know that they're just characters in a book. But I don't think I'd want them to know. I think it would just ruin everything, so I leave it how it is.

I was sitting on the couch of the Curtis' house reading 'Gone With The Wind' for the one-hundredth time when Two-Bit came bursting through the door like a hurricane. He grabbed a beer and slice of cake out of the couch and flipped on the TV. You could guess what he was watching.

"Slept in?" I questioned.

"Yup." he continued to ignore me to watch Mickey Mouse.

"Don't you have a TV at your place?"

"Yes, I do, but which place has chocolate cake?" he turned around to look at me with a dead-serious face. I sat for another twenty minutes, listening to the background music of Two-Bit obsession while reading. All three Curtis brothers were still in bed since it was a Saturday, and it was only eight in the morning. I heard the door open.

"Hey Johnny." I said, not bothering to look up. It's funny, kind of like you know who's walking down the stairs without looking, everyone closes a door differently.

"Hi, Y/N." he said while pausing at the fridge, checking out the food available.

The door opened, and closed with a slam. Steve. I looked up, my eyes widened at the sight of him. His left eye was a hideous purple and blue mix, matching his right temple. His bottom lip was cut, his nose bloody. He looked worse than he usually did.

I sat up from the couch, "What happened?" I questioned, adding a couple adjectives in between there.

"Got in a fight with my old man aga-" he started, but was cut off by him trying to walk, stuttered in pain, and clenched his stomach. I ran to his side and felt his cage, "You must've cracked a rib or two." I said, saying this since I knew a thing or two about first-aid.

"How hard did he hit you?" Two-Bit barked, taking glances between the TV and Steve. Johnny just stood and stared at the blood dripping from Steve's chin, not saying a word.

"He kicked me a couple times."

"Okay," I sighed, "I'm going to go to the store and get some medicine, I'll be right back." I said before grabbing my brown leather jacket to head out the door. The guy could barely walk, and I needed to get out of the house anyways. It was only a ten minute walk to the DX to pick up some painkillers. Even though yesterday Two-Bit asked me to pick up some cancer sticks, I still ignored his request. Coming from the future, and knowing how bad those little suckers are for you, it's for his own good. I tried smoking once, not a good experience.

I walked back, only to be called out by a group of Socs once.

I walked in the house to find everyone gathered around Dallas, even Steve, who was still gripping his ribs. Everyone was there, although Ponyboy was still in his pajamas. They were all talking to each other, gazing at Dally, who didn't appear to be hurt, or dead or anything to me. I dropped Steve's painkillers on the table and went up to them to look at what Dally had in his hands. The gang seemed concerned especially Ponyboy, who has a crease between his brows in confusion. I went up to Dally and slipped the book out of his hands, and swiftly headed out the door, smiling as if nothing was wrong, which silenced the room.

I ran like there was no tomorrow.

This was all wrong, this wasn't supposed to happen! If they read this book it'll ruin everything! What should I do with this? Burn it? Where did they even find this? What if there's more? Oh my gosh!'The Outsiders' was not suppose to-

I screamed as I felt someone tackle me. I lay on the ground, looking for the book which had flown out of my grasp. Dally picked it up from off the ground, out of breathe, and started to swear at me.

Ponyboy lay beside me, "You should have joined track." I said, gasping. I was fast, I had to admit, but pony was faster.

I stood up, and put my hand out to Dally, "give me the book." I commanded.

"Don't think so." He said as the gang, except for Steve, packed around him, against me.

Darry looked at me, "You know something about this book, don't you?" he pointed at it in Dallas' grasp. I bit my cheek hard until I tasted blood, refusing to admit I knew everything about the book.

"Please don't read it." I said, still trying to catch my breath. "Please don't."

Two-bit spoke up, "It has our names in it. Who's SE Hinton?"

"I know. I-I can't tell you."

"Y/N, it has our names in it, we can't just not read it. Is someone watching us?" darry shook his head in confusion.

"I can't tell you. Just don't read it. It'll ruin everything!" I was desperate.

"We have to read it." Dally said.

"Okay..." I breathed. "Fine. Read it. I'll tell you everything there is to know about it once you finish it. Everything. But I'm warning you, and just so you guys know, Ponyboy cutting and bleaching his hair isn't the worse thing that happens."

Two-Bit squeaked and grabbed Ponyboy's head in his arms.

I can't hide it. 'The Outsiders' is going to ruin everything.

* * * * *

That's all for the first chapter! I hope you guys enjoyed it! Please comment below so I can improve this story to make it better! (And gets me more motivation to write.) Thank you so much for reading!