The Beginning Of The End

"This is goodbye, I suppose." Clara whispered silently to her family. Hayley was loading her items in the front with Hope. "Goodbye to the family I never had, the family that's within my grasp, yet still too far to reach." She glanced at Elijah. "Goodbye to the man I love and still turned down." Her eyes moved to Hayley, who carried a bag of clothing down the stairs. "Goodbye to Hayley. Her hands touched Rebekah's coffin, feeling the burden of guilt. "I'm sorry, Bex. I can't go with any of you."

"You're not coming?"

Clara tried to ignore the slight hurt and betrayal in her voice as she turned to face the wolf, who appeared behind her. "There's still something I have to take care of here." She replied, "I... I'm going to properly say goodbye to Niklaus." It wasn't a full lie. She fully intended to go to Marcel and demand to say her goodbye. But she also needed to get Lucien from the ancestral plane. "I need this."

The wolf girl closed the truck, then turned to face her. "I know you're not telling me the whole truth but that's ok. Do what you need to do. I'll be here." She patted the truck lightly. "Me and the family. Your family."

"I know." Clara glanced at Hope's reflection in the truck's mirror. "I'll find you-- both of you-- when I'm done. Hope will need someone to teach her magic-"

Hayley suddenly embraced her, hugging her tightly. "This feels too much like a goodbye."

"It's not." She promised, "It's not a goodbye, Hayley.  I'll come back. No matter where you are."

"Ok."

Clara smiled sadly and sped away. She was going to demand and possibly bargain for a goodbye from her Cousin.

Moments later she stood in front of her newest arch enemy, though she'd rather not think of him that way.

"Marcel."

"Clara. Why are you here?" Marcel picked up a single brick and placed it in front of Niklaus, starting the wall that would soon imprison his flesh. "I figured you would be gone. Hayley certainly left in a hurry; with Rebekah."

She rolled her eyes, crossing her arms over her check. Marcel didn't scare her. He was genuinely worried about his girl. For comfort, she placed a hand on his shoulder and smiled: genuinely. "Oh," Her head tilted to the side, a smirk grew on her lips. "You're worried. I must say, Marcellous. I, too, am worried."

"Clara-"

"I'm not done." She held up a single finger, causing Marcel to clamp his mouth shut. Annoyance shone on his face and she grinned triumphantly. "That's not what worries me about you."

He scoffed. "What does?"

Her lips formed a grave frown, "It worries me that you still think you are the cause of the prophecy. Dear Marcel, you are nothing but a pawn. Humans cannot create prophecies, vampires can't. Not even the big bad hybrid wolf can. They are merely pawns in the witch's plot. The ancestors made you what you are. You played right into their plan."

"I'm not going to ask again." He responded, gritting his teeth. "Why are you here?"

"Alright. I'm here for a last request... of sorts." She glanced behind Marcel and focused her gaze at the bricked up Niklaus. Pain riddled his face. "I need to say goodbye."

That caused him to laugh, bitterly. "What makes you think of even consider that?"

"Because you've won, Marcel. You've beaten the Mikaelsons. You've taken back your throne. What am I to do?"

Marcel considered her plea a moment then grunted and moved. "Fine. Make it quick." She smiled and stepped forward only to be grabbed roughly by his strong hands. Her smile faltered. "Do not mistake this favor with forgiveness."