Chapter Seventeen, Part I

Start from the beginning

Tesa was about to ask Malía if she really meant for them to sneak around the temple and spy, but Malía lifted the tips of her fingers at her waist, facing her palm forward, and shook her head slightly.

Glenna saw it too. She swung her head back around with wide eyes and shot a question at Tesa. Tesa nodded her response.

The Arethians retreated to their rooms, and Tesa followed Glenna to hers. It was almost exactly like Tesa's, with a small bed, table, and window looking out onto the courtyard. Glenna shut the door while Tesa began inspecting the nooks and crannies of the room.

"What are you doing?" Glenna asked.

"Eriya would be proud of me," Tesa said. "In Areth, she was sure the Karume were using those magic door spells to listen in. I used to think she was a little paranoid."

"Used to," replied Glenna, and Tesa nodded. Glenna shrugged and joined Tesa in her inspection of the room.

When they finished, they both sat on the bed with their knees drawn up and their backs against the wall. They spoke in whispers so their voices wouldn't carry to the courtyard.

"We should at least know how to get out of here," Tesa said.

"We came in by the beach," Glenna whispered.

"No. We need to find other ways out, too, in case we need to get out fast. Or unnoticed."

"So not flying out on dragons?" Glenna smiled a bit as she said it.

"That would be pretty noticeable." Tesa frowned. "But that's a good point. The dragons will need to get out, too."

"Maybe there are doors big enough, or gates," Glenna said.

"I hope so."

"But even if there aren't, it'll be good to know what's there."

"Yeah," Tesa said, pursing her lips in thought. "Well, I guess we'll just have to go and see." She scooted to the edge of the bed and stood. Glenna followed.

When they stepped out into the courtyard, the bright sun confronted them with bright heat. Tesa felt the warmth pressing into her, making her clothes hug her body.

"Ugh. I need to change before we go," Tesa said.

Glenna only nodded. They both disappeared into their rooms and returned moments later in outfits of light, flowing fabric that fluttered as they moved. Tesa had found it in her closet with her other unpacked clothes.

"Well, you can't say they aren't hospitable," Glenna said, holding her arms up and looking down at her wide, patterned pants and white embroidered top.

"Let's go," Tesa said.

They walked to the corner of the courtyard, where the path led to a hall in another building. Tesa remembered following Neela this way for her mage test, but she didn't exactly remember which way they'd gone after that.

Tesa turned in the doorway to find the dragons watching her.

We're just going for a walk, Tesa said to all of the dragons. Gira snorted, and Tesa narrowed her eyes at him.

If we're not back in a couple of hours, come looking for us, Tesa said, this time directing it only to Orrie.

Call me if you need me. Orrie wore a bit of a crooked grin, and Tesa smiled back at him. She waved, then she and Glenna passed through the door leaving the courtyard into the hall.

Tesa saw light ahead that was probably from the courtyard she remembered passing through before, when she'd gone to her test. To her right, a smaller hallway led into a building.