Chapter Eight

Gloria kept her eyes on Howard as they sat at the dinner table that evening, mentally willing him to glance up at her. But he was unyielding. His head remained bowed over his bowl of soup as he feigned ignorance of her scrutiny.

He hadn't said a word to her since the incident earlier in the day when he practically stormed out on her in the middle of a well thought-out seduction.

Gloria couldn't say she was experienced in the seduction of men — having never faced the need to learn — but Howard's rejection left her musing on the many ways to drag him to his knees before her, begging and worshipping her as was expected of every man that ever came in contact with her. And Howard would not be an exception. He'd have a taste of her and be left burning with the desire to come back for more. It would be a desire that would drive him to madness, and finally, after a year of a job well done, she'd walk out of the door, triumphant.

Something in Gloria was desperate to win. She already lost so many years invested in the hard work of sharing the same bed with the men of San Francisco, when she was thrown out of the brothel empty handed. She knew walking out of Howard's life empty-handed was not an option she was willing to contemplate.

Three thousand dollars! Money that was enough to settle her for life. While she didn't have a well-structured out plan yet, she knew the only thing she was good at was prostituting herself. Perhaps she'd purchase a building in a city far away and start a brothel of her own? That way, she'd do what she was good at and wouldn't have to share her earnings with anybody.

A smile settled on her lips as the realization that she just might have a plan for her life sank in. Her gaze shifted from Howard to Stuart, who had his eyes on her. The moment her eyes settled on him, he offered her a smile and nodded his head before turning to Howard.

"I was thinking of throwing a ball to celebrate your new wife," Stuart said, placing his spoon gingerly in his bowl.

"That won't be necessary," Howard spoke for the first time, glancing up briefly to stare at his father, who sat across the table from him. "I'm filing for divorce."

A coy smile settled on Gloria's lips as she leaned forward and placed both her elbows on the table, turning fully to Howard. "No, you're not, Howie boy." She wiggled her eyebrows at him as he turned sharply to her.

"Citing that" ― He pointed an angry finger at her and turned to his father ― "as the major reason I cannot continue with this."

"What did you expect?! A bed of roses?" she asked cynically.

"No, Gloria." He turned to her once more. "I expected a wife."

"And you got one. Really, Howie, it's not my fault you can't handle this." She gestured to herself, and the frown on his face deepened.

Visibly frustrated, he turned to his father once more. "No ball necessary, Father. I made a mistake, and I admit it."

"The Mayor! I knew I was missing out on a guest for the guest list," Stuart continued.

Gloria nearly howled in laughter, but decided she was enjoying this and didn't want it to end so soon. "I also thought the lady in red would be a great addition to the list. You know, the woman in town the other day who couldn't keep her eyes off of Howie here... Brunette... I can't seem to remember her name."

"Roxanne..." Stuart offered, his smile making it almost impossible for Gloria to keep herself from laughing. But she was determined.

"I believe so, Stuart. Although, you know, there were many women who couldn't keep their eyes off of Howard and if we are to invite them all―"

"You think this is a joke, Father?" Howard yelled.

"―There simply will not be room for that many women," Gloria continued, ignoring Howard as she kept her eyes on Stuart.

"I see! It's finally clear to me now. This was a plan. Ha-ha! I find it ridiculous, too, Father. Now that you've gotten your revenge on me for being horrendous to your despicable wife..."

The smile on Stuart's face faded, a sad frown taking its place. Gloria saw the effect Howard's words had on Stuart, and it filled her with rage. "Oh, pipe down, Howard!" She turned to him.

Howard rose to his feet and shoved his seat back. "You know what the problem is, Father?" he barked. "You never listen to me! You—"

"That is enough!" Stuart turned eyes of steel to Howard. "That is enough, Howard. I've listened. The real question is, do you listen to yourself when you spew so much nonsense out of your mouth?!"

Silence settled over the room for several seconds. Heaving a shaky breath, Stuart continued, "Now sit down, I would like to continue with dinner."

Gloria turned her gaze to Howard, her brows raised, half expecting him to storm out of the room. It took a few seconds, but he finally sat back down and focused his gaze on his meal.

*

Howard's heart pounded loudly in his chest throughout dinner, and once that was over, he was thankful he could leave, completely doubtful he could survive another second in the same room with his father and Gloria without smashing something.

What he needed was wine; to get drunk and hopefully drag his messed up life to a world of oblivion for a few seconds.

He stomped up the stairs and made his way to the bedroom. Shoving the door wide open, he had only just taken his shirt off and was about to change into another one in order to escape to a tavern for the evening, when the door cracked open, gaining his attention.

Turning sharply, the frown on his face deepened the second his eyes settled on Gloria standing by the entryway. She stood still for a long while, eyes fixed on his bare chest.

He opened his mouth to speak but was quickly silenced as she reached behind her and peeled her dress off of her body with surprising speed.

His lips fell wide open as his eyes trailed the garment until it was falling to heap at her feet. With his heart pounding wildly in his chest and his lungs shutting down, his eyes moved slowly up her feet, to her knees, taking in the perfection of her thighs and the soft curves of her body.

He breathed softly and swallowed, unable to tear his eyes off of her.

Gloria stood before him, naked — a vision of perfection with white, glowing skin that made Howard feel like he was staring at a goddess.

Slowly, Howard felt himself being pulled into the schemes of the seductress, fully aware of the message she sought to convey ― she was here to offer her body to him.

And for a second, Howard nearly took her body. He nearly gave into his desire to derive pleasure where he could. But then he saw it. He saw in her eyes the truth behind her seduction; he could have her body and nothing more.

But he wanted more. Against his better judgment, he wanted more, frustration settling in the pit of his stomach at the knowledge of never getting more.

His wife would never love him. The realization scared him. Would he end up like his father? Loving a woman and not being loved in return?

He loved Gloria, he thought, surprised. He was uncertain what it was he was in love with — for other than her beauty, she appeared to have a heart of stone. Yet he was desperate for love; he was desperate to stare into these perfect green eyes and find them full of love for him. He was desperate to have her behold him in utter adoration. He was desperate for her to reach out to him, not out of a sense of duty, but out of love.

He stared at her bare body. She stood naked before him because she felt obligated to do so, her eyes devoid of emotions.

She will never truly give herself to him.

Howard was afraid of rejection, and as he stared into Gloria's pool of green eyes, he knew his greatest fear had come alive ― Gloria would never accept him.