Chapter 16

Becker Diving and SCUBA

Nassau, Bahamas

      The better part of the day had passed with the two would be adventurers chasing down every lead they could think of to help find the dock of U-3519. As punishment for dragging Sam even further, Will was forced to use Harrison’s ancient desktop that sounded like it would catch fire at any moment. Several dozen websites of questionable origin gave way to excesses of information about the Thule Society, U-Boats, and secret missions; yet none gave way to what they were looking for.

      “Hmm…” Sam said after closing a webpage that was plastered with swastikas. “Reports say that U-3519 was sunk by a mine off the coast of Norway February second and was captained by Richard von Harpe.”

      “Well Richtoffen did say that they were reassigned for the Thule Society, so maybe they got the SS to cover it up,” Will replied. “Speaking of which,” He continued. “Guess whose father was a close personal friend of Rudolf Hess, the supposed founder of the Thule?”

      Sam immediately answered with conviction “Captain Lieutenant Dietric Richtoffen.”

      “Bingo! What’s more, our good Captain Richtoffen was reported missing in early March of ’45. If 3519 had sunk in February then he wouldn’t have been on it and there’s no point in listing him as missing…” William trialed off and let Sam’s pessimistic nature fill in the blank.

      “Which means there is a good chance that our prize might be at the bottom of the Atlantic…?”

      “Bingo,” Will said again, softly this time. “But,” He carried on enthusiastically. “I’m not gonna’ let it stop me.”

      “Of course not! After all, you’re William Hollis, adventurer extraordinaire! Envy of Watson and Crick!”

      “The DNA guys?”

      “Shut up.” Sam turned and saw bright lights on the ships in port as tourists partied on and off deck, the lights acting like beacons against the darkened sky. “I could really go for a break.”

      “Nah, you just wanna’ party.”

      “True. And hey, it’s not like we’re in a hurry. If it’s been there for the past seventy years then it’ll be there until tomorrow.” Sam stood and stretched, rubbing his fingers through his hair to make himself look somewhat presentable. “You coming? There might be hot foreign girls…”

      “Might be?” Will asked skeptically as he shut down the ancient desktop and stood, following Sam downstairs and out the bungalow that Harrison called an office; a few hours before, Sam’s uncle had wandered off with some mumbled excuses about seeing his lady and left them to their work. “Son, this is the Bahamas. There will be hot foreign girls.”