4. John

ELENA

I brush my hair and pull it all to one side. I sigh contently then look up at my reflection. I look almost identical to what I did seventy some years ago, only thing that's changed is the length of my hair and that sparkle I used to have has left my eyes forever. I haven't genuinely smiled in over a decade, each day, each hour, each minute, each second, I become less and less of the woman I was and more and more of an abomination. I flip my hair in front of my face then shake my head. My hair parts itself slightly to the side and I tilt my chin upward in satisfaction. I slide the doors back over my mirror and close the latch before standing and walking to my closet. I grab a pair of leggings and a baggy sweater, which was more than likely Emmett's at one point, and get dressed. I run my fingers through my hair before putting on trainers. I shut my door and leave my room. I walk downstairs and everyone has already left. I nod to myself before I start cleaning. I dust everything and sweep and mop. I sit on the island while everything else dries. I drop down and wipe down the counters before going out to the terrace. I cross my arms and take in a nice deep breath, which is pointless because my lungs do nothing and have done nothing for over seventy years, but it's nice to fake it every now and again. I place my hands on the edge and lean forward, looking out into the forest. I race back to my room and take off my socks and shoes.

If I'm going to get myself back, I have to do what I used to. I run downstairs and jump off of the terrace before walking through the woods in my bare feet. I smile to myself and throw my head back with my arms out. I spin in a circle before sitting on the ground in a patch of flowers. I lay down and laugh. I stare at the sky and watch clouds roll past.

"You know, Elena, even though it seems like that world is falling apart, you always seem to make it okay." John says laying on his side beside me.

"That's because there is good in everything. You just have to look for it." I state.

My smile goes away and I sit up before looking beside me, only to remember that I'm alone.

"Seventy years John, seventy years." I sigh. "I made it to ninety something years, maybe even a century. Just like you wanted me to."

+++++

I slide on a pair of boots before cleaning the house one more time. I nod to myself before smiling.

"You seem better." Esme states as she walks in. I nod before placing my hands on the counter.

"Yeah. I feel better too." I say.

"What did you do differently?" Carlisle asks. I shake my head slightly.

"I remembered something that someone had said about me when I was still human. And well what I said to them." I reply. "It was almost seventy maybe even eighty years ago, but I just finally stopped blocking out the memories. It's uh bitter sweet, to say the least."

"Keep it up, it's nice seeing you slowly get back to your old self." Esme smiles.

"That's my intent." I nod.

"Emmett will surly be glad that you're more of yourself." Carlisle states. I nod again.

"Hey, Carlisle, there's a storm system coming in a few days, you know, a-and I was thinking that we could, you know." I try to find the right words to form the question.

"Yes, when it comes, we'll go play baseball." He knew what I meant.

"Really!?!" I beam. "Oh my gosh, thank you so much! I haven't played in almost two years!"

"If you weren't always cooped up somewhere, you could've gone with us." Esme says in her slightly accusing singsong tone.

"I was reading online medical journals." I mutter.

"Are you still keeping up with your studies?" Carlisle asks.

"Oh yeah, of course. I mean at least I'm not going over the same thing constantly like the others. I'm kind of glad about that. I prefer sticking with furthering my research with science. Since you know, technically my cresidentials are higher than yours Carlisle." I reply.

"Keep up the good work, Elena." Esme shoots me a smile.

"Yeah." I nod.