Chapter 5: Part 2 - Ava

I wring my hands as the survivor count continues to steadily climb, but I have yet to hear anything from my family. "I can't do this anymore," I tell my uncle.

He looks away from his tablet for the first time in minutes. "What do you mean?"

"Not knowing if they're okay. Not knowing if they're even alive. I have to know."

He wipes the back of his hand along his forehead. "They won't even answer their phones."

"I know and that's what makes it worse." I set the tablet in my lap and rub my cheeks.

"The drones haven't come across them."

I connect my hands behind my head. "I'm going to be sick." I haven't heard from Lee either. I don't know if the tsunami has hit him yet. If he's alive. . . No! He's going to be fine. Just like my family.

My phone rings from where I set it next to me in the grass. The name ALICE lights up the screen.

"Hello?" My voice is high and my hands shake.

"We're trapped on the car. I don't know how much longer the roof can hold us."

"Where are you?"

"Near Scottsdale Road."

I program a group of drones to head for that area. "Listen, Alice, I'm sending help. Hold out a little bit longer." The drones show me a view of them flying over cars that are stalled in a brand new river. On every car is at least one person. "Are any of you hurt?"

"No, but the roof is caving in."

I hear a groan.

"Hurry."