Chapter 1

Myself and Belle ( @AgentBelle-97 )  have been working together in order to give you this fanfiction. Firstly, I'd like to thank Belle so much for agreeing to co-write this fanfiction with me and I'm really looking forward to working with her on this. I would never have been able to write something of this standard without her, and I hope all of you guys can appreciate the time and effort she has put in this chapter. So here it is, our first chapter.

****

Sophia Grace Halstead was 5 years old, she was a January baby and had recently celebrated her birthday. She was born prematurely at 34 weeks which had made Jay an increasingly overprotective father. Growing up Jay had always felt the need to protect her from the world she lived in. He wanted his daughter to have a stable life, something he unfortunately was unable to have but this hadn't always been easy. Sophia's mom - Amanda Patterson - had turned her back on her daughter the day after her first birthday. Jay and Amanda had tried their best to provide a stable home for their young daughter but that had proven to be too difficult and the lasting result of their drunken one night stand had caused multiple arguments between the two. But Jay knew from the moment Amanda had told him that he had a responsibility to look after his unborn child.

She was a mirror of her father, just much shorter and a lot more talkative. She had the same blue orbs as her father, though hers seemed to brighten every time she spoke. Her hair had been lighter by a few shades and only just touched her shoulders. She had small bangs that Jay would always find cute how she brushed them from her face when she was concentrating. Her smile was beautiful and it never seemed to end. She had a toothy grin that made Jay melt and sometimes he couldn't understand how Amanda could choose her job over their daughter.

Sophia was his princess, his angel and nothing could ever change that. He would do anything to protect his daughter and that even meant keeping her a secret from his unit.

****

Jay didn't expect to be woken up by his hyper 5-year-old jumping on his chest, shouting, "Wake up, Daddy! Wake up! I want pancakes!"

Jay groaned as he held his daughter down and she looked down at him with big blue eyes, giving her best puppy dog look. "Oh, alright," Jay gave in, tickling her tummy, causing her to giggle happily. "Let Daddy get ready. I'll make you your favourite blueberry pancakes in ten minutes. How does that sound?"

"Yes, yes!" Sophia cried out joyously, once again bouncing up and down on her father's chest. He laughed and gently placed her on the bed, leaving a kiss on the top of her head. "Wait here. Okay?"

"Okay, Officer Daddy!" Sophia nodded, sitting down on the bed and waiting patiently as Jay grabbed his clothes and headed into the bathroom. He took a quick shower, changed and finally headed back to where his daughter sat. She looked up and her eyes brightened when she saw her father again, and she jumped up, nearly toppling over off the bed. Luckily, Jay was quick, and he caught her just as she toppled off, and she fell into his arms.

"Hey, be careful, Sophie," he cautioned her, holding her tightly, his heartbeat having picked up speed when he saw her falling off. "You okay?"

Sophia clung to Jay's neck and buried her face into his shoulder. Although she nodded into his body, he could feel her trembling with fright, so he gently kissed her head and carried her towards the kitchen, where he placed her down on the table. Sophia watched as her father started making the pancakes and she started fidgeting in her place, excited to eat her favourite food ever.

Once Jay had finished making the pancakes, he brought it to Sophia, along with her chocolate milk. The moment he placed it down, she began to gulp and he chuckled. "Slow down, Angel," Jay smiled, as he took a seat beside her, his coffee mug in hand.