Chapter 2

"-and so, we have decided to give 3 very special scholarships to the swimmers that showed the most potential." Coach explained to us the next day, one of the officials standing behind him, dark shades and an expressionless face. Our entire swim club was spread out across the grandstand and sitting on the pool deck. One word, it was very cramped.

"I wanted to say that I am very proud of all of you, even if you didn't qualify. The officials from yesterday mentioned many times to me that this club has proven to be one of the top in the country, and they will certainly be keeping us in mind when looking for more young potential swimmers. And now for the results." Coaches eyes wandered over his group of swimmers, pausing at me for a fraction of a second longer.

I gripped Graces hand and the diving block, probably leaving a permanent dent in the lane 3 diving block.

"Ow, let go, you nutcase. With hands as strong as those, you're sure to qualify." Hissed Grace and wisely tore her hand away from my own sweaty and clammy hand.

"Ok, so in total, 15 people qualified, much more then anyone could have ever expected." Coach started naming out the younger swimmers, the youngest being only 10 years old.

"So now for the 3 incredibly gifted swimmers that received the scholarship." Coach said and looked around with a big smile.

"It's you and me, Akira! Rio, here we come!" Conrad's voice rang out from somewhere in the grandstand. I face palmed myself as that set off a whole army of teenage boys yelling out in their 'big manly' voices.

"Rio, here we come!"

After about two minutes of pointless yelling, the human gorillas calmed down and Coach could continue.

"Thank you... Conrad." Coach coughed and cracked a smile.

"So the first person to receive the scholarship is..." Coach didn't even manage to finish, another chortle of idiotic teenage boys started.

"Conrad! Akira! Conrad!" My face grew hotter and redder then a beetroot, I wanted to jump into the Olympic sized pool, clothes and all.

"Ok, that's enough!" Coach thundered out, his eyes blazing and breathing hard, someone definitely lost their cool.

" Akira Dixon, Nicole Sefton, Thad Moore! Congratulations, you qualified for the Junior National Swim Team and managed to gain the scholarship!" The Coach shouted out and winked at me.

Immediately an avalanche of yelling and arguing erupted. I didn't hear anything, I fainted in shock, my head falling onto Graces lap. The last thing I heard was her startled gasp of surprise.

--------------///---------------

"Hey, come on. Akira, time to wake up!" A gentle voice brought me back to reality. I opened my eyes and groaned at the brightness of the overhead light.

"And I was having such a lovely dream too." I moaned in annoyance and buried my face in the fluffy pillow.

Coach gave a hearty laugh and tickled the back of my neck.

"You silly goose, why did you faint? I did tell you that I was going to do anything for you to qualify." Coach said quietly with a hint of sadness.

I turned onto my back and looked around. I was in the small first aid room by the side of the pool. The only other time I had been here was during a particularly bad training session when I couldn't stop vomiting.

"So... What happened?" I croaked, realising my throat was painfully dry. I swallowed and blinked at my coach.

"A fight almost broke out on pool deck because Conrad didn't receive the scholarship. I had never seen Conrad looking that angry before. He was pissed." Coach shook his head and looked at the door. "Luckily Thad ran out as soon as he heard the results, smart boy, he knew he didn't stand a chance against Conrad and most of the club that supported Conrad." Coach grinned and picked up my hand, his own hands warm and comforting.

"But why didn't Conrad receive the scholarship? He is basically the best swimmer in the club." I asked, not really understanding the situation.

"I made sure that he wouldn't receive the scholarship." Coach winked.

I stared at him, trying to figure out if he was joking or not. What the hell...

"But why?" I was baffled. Nothing seemed to make sense anymore.

"Conrad is a very difficult boy to understand. His school grade are miles below average and he has behaviour issues. He is also very used to getting exactly what he wants, which is not going to be useful when he becomes an adult. I needed to teach him an important life lesson. He did, unfortunately qualify for the National Team, that I couldn't stop, but he is going to have to work incredibly hard to keep his place among the top. I convinced the officials that this will be best thing to do for him, and will give other undiscovered talents a chance, like for example Thad." Coach finished and helped me sit up. My sore muscles complained as I attempted to stand up.

"I see." I said quietly and secretly thought what a brilliant person the Coach was. " But wouldn't Thad now have problems with most of the swim club? He might even get bullied!" I said, worrying for Thad's safety.

"Oh, don't worry about him. Thad is able to stand his ground. I've seen him do it on countless occasions, this is also a lesson or rather opportunity for him to show his true golden colours." We reached the door and I cautiously opened it, peeking at the pool deck.

" Its almost seven o'clock, everyone has gone home." Coach reassured me. "You will leave for the Junior National Training Centre next week. I want you to take a break for this week and prepare yourself, mentally and physically." Coach said.

"Wait?! Next week?! But what about school and exams and-" I panicked.

"Shhh. Akira. Everything is already organised and managed. Don't stress about it." Coach laughed and walked with me towards the exit. Outside I could already see the gorgeous warm orange sunlight starting to turn into dusk.

"But for how long will I be gone?" I asked.

"A season lasts 4 months." Coach replied with a shrug and gave me a hug. "For now, this is goodbye. I hope you learn lots, and become the best of what you can. Don't forget to have fun." Coach's breath tickled my ear as he whispered those last words to me.

He drew back and waved as I walked outside, a slight breeze picking up, bringing along the familiar smell of eucalyptus and freshly cut grass. I was going to miss this place, I sighed and started to walk slowly home, enjoying the warmth of the setting sun and familiar landscapes, trying to remember every detail to comfort me when I leave.