Red White & Blue Chapter 1

Today summer break started for my high school and I was having my best friend Bre over for the barbecue and bonfire my parents have every year. When we got to my house I changed out of my school uniform into a pair of jean shorts, a black tank top, and black cowgirl boots then threw my hair up into a ponytail. See we live in southern Mississippi so it's mostly always hot. Couldn't believe after the summer I would be a senior and turning 18. As Bre and I waited for guests to start arriving we had Aaron Lewis blarin from my speakers in my room. We were interrupted by my mom, Ally knocking on my bedroom door 20 minutes later and I went to open.

"You two need to come down soon. People are arriving and there is someone important that you need to meet tonight, Katie." I nodded and unplugged my phone from the speakers and Bre and I followed we down stairs. My dad, Jay was outside grilling and mom was inside finishing up deserts. Soon there was a swarm of people laughing and drinking in my back yard. We lived in the middle of no where so I was surprised so many people showed up. I helped my mom carry out food while Bre talked to her parents and little brother. My dad walked over to my mom and I while we were setting down the food and kissed my mom on her cheek. Everyone had sat down in lawn chairs after getting there food and ate. It was a BYOC (bring your own chair) and BYOB (bring your own beverage) party. The only thing we provided was the food which was a lot. People had backed there trucks up close to the burn pile when they had first got there so Bre and I just at on a random tailgate. It was a jacked up all black chevy duramax with smoke stacks.

When it started to get dark my dad finally lit the large pile of brush and my mom cranked up the radio. Bre and I squealed and stood up to dance in the bed of the truck when our favorite song Ready Set Roll by Chase Rice came on.

"Get your little fine ass up on the step side." we sang loudly as everyone else talked by the bonfire. All the kids rushed to get marshmallows for s'mores. When the song finished I walked inside to get more to drink and left Bre outside. I hand noticed my parents came in behind me.

"Sweetie can we talk to you?" my mom asked.

"Sure." I said with a slight chuckle. I noticed some of the people were leaving due to the fact that they had small children with them. Bre came in then and told she would be leaving since they had to go somewhere early in the morning. We said our goodbyes then I went and sat in the living room with my parents.

"Well hun we have some very big news for you."

"Am I gonna have a new baby brother or sister?" I immediately asked. Mom looked down and shook her head no.

"No. There's some people we want you to meet." Three people then entered the room and my father stood up and so did I seeing as it was polite.

"This is Mr. and Mrs. Lange." my father said introducing me to the older couple. I shook both their hands then looked at the man standing behind them.

"And this is their son, Derek." I smiled up at the man that towered over me. He had to be at least 6'8and I was only 5'3. He had a high and tight hair cut and dark blue eyes. He was wearing dark washed jeans, square toed boots, a camouflage baseball cap and a cut off T-shirt. I shook his hand then looked over at my dad for an explanation on why I was meeting these people.

"You might want to sit down for this part." my dad said.

"No, I'm fine standing." I replied. My dad took a deep breath and looked between Derek and I.

"Derek is your fiancé. You're in an arranged marriage and will marry in 2 weeks."

"What!" I screamed at my father.

"I know I'm sorry. It's for your own good."

"My own good?! Making me marry someone I don't know is my own good?! I fucking hate you!" I screamed and ran out of the living room and up the stairs to my bedroom slamming the door behind me. I threw myself on my bed and cried into my pillow.