Chapter 8

It had been a month since Lucy called me and ever since than I made sure to call her at least once a week. We hadn't seen each other in person however I was hoping that I would be able to go visit her soon. I was laying in my room when my phone began to ring.

"Hello."

"Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday...well you get it." Lucy laughs and I swear a piece of me dies of happiness.

"It's not for another three hours" I say

"Well it's midnight here and I couldn't wait so Happy Birthday!!!

"Thank you." I smile

"So what's the birthday girl doing on her big day?"

"Let's see I have to work in the morning but after I'm having a birthday dinner and I actually have a date." I say the last part quietly because I'm not sure how Lucy's going to react. We haven't really talked about the true cause of our friendship breakup.

"That's cool" she says. And I can't help but feel relieved. "I should let you go, I have class in a couple hours, have a great birthday, Lo." What follows is a moment of silence. "Uh you there" she says confused.

"You haven't called me Lo in a long time...it just caught me off guard but in a totally you just kind of made my day kind of way." I smile

"I'm glad I could do that for you...goodnight" she chuckles

"Goodnight Lucy"

"Lauren, Lauren over here." "Who's the guy?" "Is it your new boyfriend?" All the flashes from all of the cameras threaten to blind me. "Who the hell called the paparazzi?" I can feel the anger boil up inside of me. "Tonight, was supposed to be fun" I say annoyed looking at my date who is smiling for the cameras. That's when I realized it was him. I grab Dinah's hand dragging her to the bathroom.

"What wrong?" she asks perplexed

"That idiot called the paps" I yell

"How do you know"

"Look at him, he's over there waving and smiling"

"I'm sorry Lo" she frowns

"Better to find out now I guess." I sigh. I spend the rest of night hanging with my girls. I'm in bed by eleven when I decide to call Lucy.

"Shouldn't you be partying?"

"Hello to you to" I roll my eyes

"Sorry, hello Ms. Jauregui...what happened?" she questions

"My date called the paps." The anger in my voice still apparent.

"That sucks, I'm sorry Lo."

"It's okay...I mean it's not but I didn't like him anyway." I say

"So, what can I get you for your birthday?"

"You don't have to get me anything." I chuckle.

"But I do...you see I have to make up for last year." She says and I can tell that she's smiling at the other end.

"You really wanna know?"

"Obviously"

I take a deep breath trying to muster up the courage to say what I've wanted to say since the first moment she called me. "I want to go see you."

"I want to see you to." She replies and I can't help but smile. "Really"

"Yeah"

"How about this weekend?" I waste no time in asking.

"That works...I can pick you up at the airport."

"Okay...great...I'll see you this weekend than."

"Yeah...this weekend."