Chapter 7

Despite Sevenths revelation, they headed towards Hunters Forge in relative silence. Evelyn didn't know how she felt about the revelation. A part of her was fascinated and eager to learn more - this was her dreams made reality. She had loved reading about the Fae and now she was in the presence of one. The other part of her was scared. Evelyn had lived a sheltered life. Even her daily 'escapes' had been somewhat confined. She now realised how big the world was and how oblivious she had been to the fact that other people actually existed and lived day to day lives. 

Occasionally, her vision would blur as she thought about her mother, but she would push all thoughts to the back of her mind and focus on something else - like what she would encounter in Hunters Forge, or try figure out how much further they had to go. She found that the most effective method of forgetting her mother was to focus on the sharp pain in her foot where she was certain multiple blisters had now formed and burst. She didn't want to alert Seventh to the pain, she didn't want to become a burden, so instead she soldiered on, wishing that they would arrive after the next hill. 

The sun was still fairly high in the sky when Evelyn decided that she really needed to rest her feet. They were just too painful. She needed to know how much further they had to go. Of course, she wanted to appear perfectly fine at the same time so she chose her words carefully.

"You can tell the time by the suns position right? What time would you say it is?" She had meant it to come out somewhere between curiosity and nonchalance. However the result was exaggerated and sounded rather awkward. Seventh clearly realised this and turned around, giving her a questioning look. He took note of her slight limp and his eyes widened slightly. He had seen right through her.

"We are around an hour an a half away. Sit, we will take a break." He sighed. Relief flooded Evelyn and she rested against a tree trunk. Seventh gave her the water bag.

"Take off your shoe" His tone was commanding and Evelyn immediately obeyed. She took note of how he had dropped formalities - probably to get into character. Seventh fashioned two circle pads from some cloth and secured it onto Evelyn's feet. 

"It will take the pressure off of the wounds. Drink up, we need to make a move shortly." 

*****************************************

After a couple of hours they were on the outskirts of Hunters Forge. Since their break Seventh had filled Evelyn in on how she should act. They had decided she would keep mostly quiet when it came to telling people their stories, but Seventh told her she should speak casually on any other matter so as to avoid suspicion. 

The town was bigger than she had thought. A few houses, at least three pubs, and shops selling everything you could ever possibly need. The only thing that lead her to believe it was a criminal town were the people. Everyone seemed to walk around in groups, and everyone wore dark clothing. The town reeked of alcohol and the buildings looked run down. 

Seventh and Evelyn entered into a pub and headed straight to the bar. 

"I need a room with two beds." Seventh told the owner. He was a big man with thick hair and sideburns that reached his neck. His arms were thick and corded and various tattoos were inked across them. 

"We only do rooms with a double bed. And we charge by the hour." The man grunted. Evelyn was confused at first but then she realised that the bar had numerous women in tight revealing clothing walking around dishing out alcohol. She realised what the man meant by charging by the hour and the thought made her cringe. 

"Fine." Seventh handed the man a bag of coins. "Can we get some food as well". The man opened the bag and nodded. Gesturing to a table. 

"Take a seat. Your room is the second one up the stairs." The man turned to head into the kitchen. 

Seventh headed over to a table furthest from the crowds. He and Evelyn sat. 

The food was surprisingly good. It was a stew, and although Evelyn could only guess as to the ingredients, she wolfed it down. They had gained attention from various people. The group of men sat at the centre table kept looking over at them. They were a rowdy bunch and the way they treat the female staff made Evelyn angry. One man in particular, a bald guy with inked arms and arms like tree trunks, kept grabbing the women as they passed by him.

Once they had finished the food they headed upstairs. Seventh checked the room and went to the window to look outside. Evelyn knew he was scouting the area. The silence between them had been making her uncomfortable.

"What's your name?" She asked him. Her voice was unsteady. Seventh turned to look at her with a wide eyed expression. It soon changed to a confused look. 

"If I keep calling you Seventh then people will be suspicious." she added with an awkward smile.

"Right." Seventh replied. He looked at the floor contemplating the issue. "Will! It's a common name so it won't be suspicious. Call me Will." He turned back to the window.

Evelyn felt slightly dejected that he wouldn't share his real name. He had trusted her enough to tell her he was High Fae. Did he regret telling her that? 

"We should also change your name. Your name is well known. " He said. 

"Alice" She replied laying down on the bed.

"Very well. I'm going to get some supplies. Don't leave the room until I come back" He ordered.

He left the room without another word. It took only moments for Evelyn to drift off into slumber.