Chapter Nine

Third Person's POV

The hot air of June July had transformed itself into the salty monsoon breeze of August and then to a slightly cool breeze of September and October. The sun which rose on the old buildings of Karachi city did not have the same heat karachites were used to for the better part of the year but the weather was pleasantly fair.

Two abaya clad women were hurrying down a noisy street of North nazimabad at 1 pm on a busy Monday. After full four hours of shopping despite the fair temperature they seemed to be sweating profusely. Entering a home at the end of the street the younger one with a purple floral hijab slumped on the living room chair laddened with multiple shopping bags and gasped,

"Water please Marium.. oh you've made juice!! Thanks darling." Gratefully gulping down the ice cold orange juice she felt her senses coming back and thanked her sister who was watching her amusedly.

"Haya how many times do I've to tell you that don't drink water just after coming back from outside!!" The elder woman who was the mother reprimanded.

"But mama I drank juice! There is a difference." Haya replied innocently and the mother shook her head while Marium laughed.

The preparations for Haya's wedding had started. She didn't only hate shopping but she despised it. Going from one shop to another asking for prices and bargaining was just not her cup of tea and she had always wondered how girls can willingly spend hours doing this stuff. If there was any attraction in shopping malls for her it was the food court as the foodie she was. So Bilquis and Fatima who were crazy for shopping too would bribe her with it but she would still be given the title of old soul among them just because she would deny going on any such outing. But oh well who cares!!

But since it was her wedding preparations it was totally different. In the beginning she was reluctant to take part in any such discussions but one good lecture from her mother to be happy and enjoy it and the results were astounding.

Naheed was adamant that Haya buy everything of her choice as she will be the one using it. And so first time in her life Haya was excitedly going to shopping malls and taking part in all the shopping lists and discussions. It had made her realize the countless small blessings here and there which we don't even acknowledge and which we are always bestowed upon and thank her Lord.

Her bridal dress was on her head these past few days and though it was too soon to place an order for it she still wanted to be sure. No one had objected so after much discussions and suggestions from everyone and checking renowned bridal designers' sites herself she had finally chosen one and had went to place an order for it.

It took her a good fourty five minutes to explain how she wanted the dress to be and be sure that the tailor had gotten all the details right she was finally satisfied. After telling the tailor when was the wedding and when should she complete it they had left the shop feeling content.

After that there was a long list of accessories to be bought plus the house grocery which took their next few hours without them realizing the time! By the time they were done with grocery they were too exhausted to do anything else and so they called it a day.

Taking a nap after lunch and feeling quite fresh the two eldest women of the house were sitting in their living room finalizing the household accessories for Haya. The two youngest ones after putting all the grocery away came and sat beside them.

"Seriously ma I don't know how you manage everything always! I get tired putting the groceries away only!" Marium exclaimed fake wiping sweat from her forehead.

"That's because your elder sister never really left anything for you two to do any work huh! You just wait till Haya leaves and I'll make you cook every day." Their mother replied feigning seriousness while marium's eyes spread as wide as saucers.