Chapter Five

It was a lazy Sunday morning. Karachi don't usually see much cold during winter season but this year it was exceptional. After a moderate almost hot December the new year had brought the cold karachites always longed for. The mornings and evenings had become chilly and there was rain forecast since a couple days. Today the grey demanding clouds had been finally given consent and were now pouring with all they had since early morning.

I parted the curtains from my room window and looked at the heavy rain outside. The weather demanded to be enjoyed with a hot cup of coffee and a good book. Planning to make myself a cup of coffee I went to kitchen.

"Haya beta are you making something?" Mama called from outside.

"Yeah mama I was thinking of making coffee for myself. Do you want me to make you too?" I called back.

"Nah I'm good. You enjoy beta. I've to call your aunt and I better call her now." She replied mumbling the last part.

Making myself coffee I dragged the living room chair to my balcony and sat there to enjoy the rain. The rain was pouring heavily making the atmosphere look dark and gloomy or maybe it was my mood only. The past month was really hectic as I was trying to get admission in a good uni based on my major and it's stuff kept me pretty much busy.

This last month I had actually tried my best to keep myself busy and so I had succeeded too. Eavesdropping on mama baba's conversation that night I had tried getting any more news about the incident the next few days but all in vain so instead of worrying over it I had kept myself busy in my studies.

"Ahan Maria do you see how our Aapi is enjoying the weather with a coffee and her fiance's songs." Marium's cheeky voice sounded from the doorway making me look questioningly at her.

"What?? Someone is missing my Aapi so much that he's out in his Jeep playing songs on high volume." Marium winked and my eyes shot up. Alarmed I stood up and looking down sure enough Mr. Zuhaib was sitting there with a couple other guys laughing and playing old songs at full volume.

Wow what a way to enjoy weather!!

Mentally I saluted him. Here I was stressing over some stupid news about him since last month and here he is like without a care in the world. 
Huffing I closed the balcony door behind me and came inside slumping beside Mama's chair, Marium and Maria in my tow.

"Mama are you seeing how Aapi is blushing continuously." This time it was Maria who spoke.

"Mama tell them to stop please!!" I whined and hid my face in my hands.

"Marium Maria go do your homework or something. Leave Haya alone." Mama reprimanded them and I looked at her thankfully.

That evening Bilquis called me after Maghreb. We were chatting merrily about anything and everything but she seemed kinda off and I ignored it thinking it's just my mind over thinking about everything. But soon enough I was proved right when suddenly she got serious.

"Um I had to tell you something Haya." She said hesitantly.

"Yeah what it is?" I asked chewing the bubble gum.

"It's a bad news about bhaiya." She said and my ears suddenly perked up.

"Just tell me Billi. What is it?" I said impatiently.

"Bhaiya got fired from his job."

"Oh!" I said unsure on how to react to this. Suddenly a thought strucked me and I asked.

"When did this happen Billi??"

"It's been around a month since he got fired. He was applying for other jobs whole this month but still no sign. Bhaiya has become cranky." She finished sadly.

Wow!!? And she didn't even tell me. I felt really bad for Mr. Fiance and Bilquis.

"Why didn't you tell me this before huh? I could have come over. Last time I came to your place was when I came after my results." I said.

"I wanted to tell you that day when you had brought your forms. But you were sounding so cheery on phone so I let it be. And I had thought Bhaiya being the smart guy he is will get another soon enough." She sighed.

"Bilquis Ahmed!!!! This don't go this way!! We share every happiness and sadness with each other. Forgot the quote we have on our mugs?? "Friends show love in times of trouble not in times of happiness!" Now tell me what's the actual reason behind this sadness leaking in your voice??" I said and added silently after a while,

"Isn't he supposed to be taking over in your father's company Billi?? I understand he had to work somewhere else to get some experience first and all but it's been a year. Why is he still looking for other jobs?"

"That's the matter na Haya. Dad thinks he isn't capable enough to run his hard earned company. He thinks he's lazy and not mature enough. There had been twice this argument in past week. Bhaiya didn't get any job letters and he told Dad he wanna start in his company now. But Dad denied. Now both men are having an ego battle. Bhai is just sitting in home not applying for any job anymore and dad is getting agitated and the house atmosphere has become tense 24/7" She burst out and completed in one breath.

"Whoa!!" I didn't know what else to say. This was so complicated.

"Okay calm down sweetheart and go have a glass of water. Then we'll talk. It's gonna be alright. Such minor things happen in every household."

"But it isn't minor Haya! You.."

"Go fetch yourself water Billi I'm waiting." I cut her in the middle and listened to her standing up and going out.

My thoughts were all jumbled up. First news about him drinking and now he being fired. This couldn't have been a coincidence. I tried joining the dots but the picture that was coming out was more than I could accept. There was something missing in the middle though. Their dad was a really caring dad. Why would he be suddenly so strict on Zuhaib was beyond me.

"Hello!"

Bilquis came back on line and I put all my worries aside trying to cheer her up. Half hour later when I cut the call my head was bursting. It was almost esha time and after esha prayer I went in the kitchen to help mama but twice..

"Haya!! You will burn yourself badly!!" I jerked from my thoughts on Mama's voice. Turning off the stove she finally turned to me questioningly and I sheepishly smiled at her.

"Well?? What's the matter? What has Bilquis said??" She asked and my eyes grew wide.

"Oh come on I'm your mother. I can sense your moods. Whatever is troubling you has to do something with Bilquis. Didn't seem like a friends fight to me so tell me what is it??" She asked impatiently and I lowered my eyelids.

"Um Bilquis was telling me that Zuhaib got fired from his job and all so was just thinking about that." I wanted to explain mama everything but it was weird talking about my supposed to be husband. But mama wasn't finished with my brief explanation.

"And??" She pressed and setting the awkwardness aside I told mama everything from the beginning. After I was done she thought for a moment and then said,

"Haya jaani I think these matters shouldn't be your tension now. It's their personal matters and you aren't married to him yet. So don't fret over it. Focus on your studies and enjoy the bachelor life while you can." She winked in the end trying to lighten the mood.

But alas! It was easier said than done. There goes the next days of me trying to eavesdrop on their convos again.

Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu. I constantly had a writer's block with this chapter so please please pretty please do tell me your views through comments. They truly make my day and do drop your sweet votes too. It's pretty simple you see just click that lil star. 😘😘😘😘

Take care!