Lullabye Baby

(Cecily's Point of View)

   The next few days past quickly. I didn't know what was happening half of the time. Flashes of memories from my past overtook my daily life. Memories of torture flooded my mind and I couldn't do anything but lie down and mutter.
   Weeks passed and I grew weaker. Brendon continued his tour, and I rarely saw him anymore. I needed his voice. I pushed the memories out of my mind and sat up. It was the middle of the night, and I could hear Brendon's rhythmic breathing in the room next to mine.
   My will was strong, but my body wasn't. I desperately wanted to stand, but my legs were too weak. My arms shook against my will. It was getting hard to breathe. I hugged the wall and stumbled to Brendon's bedside.
   It had been a few days since they had taken me to the hospital. Worry was creased into Brendon's forehead even as he slept. The doctors had me on a prescription and a diet. I was forced to eat their food three times a day. My mumbling and shaking had definitely decreased. I didn't want to frighten Brendon or make Sarah any more suspicious.
   Lost in thought, I didn't realize that I had leaned away from the wall. I stumbled a few steps and fell onto Brendon's chest. His eyes flew open and he grunted as my elbows dug into his stomach. Oops.
   "What's the matter," Brendon sat up and pulled me onto his lap. I smiled weakly and shook my head. Sarah rolled over and opened one of her eyes.
"Can't sleep," I told him. He picked me up marriage style and slid out from underneath the covers to take me back to my bed on the couch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Brendon's Point of View)

"Here," I said, setting Cecily down gently. She was trembling from head to toe, so I pulled a few blankets up to her chin. She snuggled down into a comfortable position and looked up to me with bright eyes among a weary face.
"Would you sing something," she asked shyly. I chuckled.
"Sure, let me guess, Impossible Year?" She nodded excitedly. I sat down close to her and started singing.
Part way through the song, she stopped trembling and joined in.
"There's no you and me, this impossible year. Only heartache and heartbreak and gin made of tears. The bitter pill I swallow, the scars souvenir. That tattoo, your last bruise, this impossible year." I smiled down at Cecily and how well she held out that last note. She blushed a deep scarlet and smiled back.
"We have to sleep now," I said. I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't talk to her now that she was doing better, but I was extremely fatigued. I brushed a strand of hair out of her now rosy face and returned to my bed and Sarah. Sarah cuddled up next to me as my heavy eyelids started to fall.
   The last thing I heard before drifting off into fitful sleep was Cecily humming an ominous tune.