Chapter 8 - Playing the part

Start from the beginning

When they came apart Kade's face was slightly flushed and she could imagine that hers was the same. For a second she just looked at him in awe wondering why someone like him would want someone like her. Never in a million years would she have expected Kade Williams to kiss her.  A slight laugh escaped his lips and he smirked, amusement in his eyes. "Damn, sweetheart, you're a good kisser."

She blushed ever so slightly before smiling, "You're not too bad yourself. I mean, I've had worse." In truth, she had only kissed a few people before and most of them had been while she was hunting a victim.

He didn't seem the least bit concerned at her comment and instead his grin grew. "For a moment I was worried that you were going to slap me."

"Why would I do that?" she questioned her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

He glanced away like he was embarrassed before hiding it with a chuckle, "Didn't think you were into me."

She smirked, "I didn't know that you liked me either."

He opened his mouth to speak but a murmur of voices began approaching and music began to play. The show was clearly over and the after party had begun. He sighed looking a little disappointed that their moment had been interrupted. "If you want to go, we can."

For a second she considered leaving with him and forgetting everything that she'd seen. But her heart told her otherwise. They both needed answers and they still hadn't found any. "No," she shook her head, "We still need to find Arlin."

Kade grinned mischievously before stepping back, "Alright, let's go find the devil." He took her arm and headed towards the door, leading her back inside.
~
The music started up loud and enchanting as the party began. People were laughing with big grins on their faces, despite what they had just witnessed. A sly looking man with red eyes strolled out clutching the arm of the lone victor beside him. The lady's face was a mess, with scars, dirt and blood covering it. Tear streaked stains covered her cheeks as she was paraded through the room like a doll. Finley felt her grip tighten against Kade's arm as they passed by. They watched them walk past and Finley felt like screaming. How was everyone smiling and acting like nothing was wrong?

Kade took her hand and pulled her onto the dance floor as the music changed to a slower pace. She frowned at him, "What are you doing?"

He shrugged, "Taking your mind off it. Now dance with me sweetheart."
She grinned despite not wanting to appear happy in such an awful situation. She took hold of his hand as he pulled her close and slowly they began to dance. Her nerves were on edge as the creatures around them cackled and murmured under their breaths. She was afraid that they were going to realize that they weren't supernatural creatures.

She glanced back at Kade, trying to focus just on him. His green eyes shone out from behind the dark mask glimmering like orbs as they looked at her. His mouth turned up at the edges as he smiled, the small lines spanning out from his eyes. Her mind wandered back to their moment on the balcony and she smiled to herself. It had been so perfect and she was still in awe that it even happened.

As if noticing her smirk, Kade spoke, "What are you grinning about?"

"Nothing," she said glancing away from his accusing glare. He didn't seem convinced but he said nothing more about it. As the song came to an end they stopped dancing and moved off the dance floor and into the crowd of onlookers.

"I wonder if they have water here?" Kade questioned.
She scanned the room, her eyes coming to a stop on the food and beverage table. "I'll go look, stay here."
He nodded as she disappeared into the crowd. There were only a few people standing around the small table so it was easy for her to see the contents. She couldn't identify half of the food there and the different coloured drinks could be anything.