Chapter 3

Curing Me

Chapter 3

The birds chirped a song outside my window as the sunlight flashed through the window and onto my eyes as my eyes flashed open. This was probably the best morning I’ve had since living with Mum. I remember waking up to pancakes in bed whenever I slept with Mum. Or wake up with a hot chocolate on the side table next to my bed in the morning when Mum was off at work.

I slid out of my blankets and onto the floor, sitting down on the wooden planks and just for the feel of it, I smiled then that smile turned into giggles then those giggles turned into laughter. I didn’t know why I was laughing but you know what they say ‘laughter is the best treatment’ or something close to that.

I jumped up and walked to the bathroom with a smirk on my face. It felt extraordinary to be happy. I would wake up in a grey, cloudy, stormy day when really everyone else was seeing the sun and the clear blue sky.

I looked at myself in the bathroom. My cheeks were a nicely shaded red, like I was healthy because usually I wouldn’t eat in the morning, mainly after my mother died.

Clink, Clack, Clonk I heard from my window.

I lifted up the window to see a boy throwing rocks, and to see him throwing another one at me. “Hey!” I yelled, rubbing my bruise on my cheek when Maria hit me last night. It was Cody of course. After we have met he never seemed to part away from me.

“Come down, I’m bored and it’s a beautiful day.” He begged running towards the meadow.

I quickly changed out of my pyjamas and put on knee length, blue skirt with tights and a white and blue striped shirt. Just a summer day clothes. I ran down the stairs, probably going to miss breakfast today, like usual.

I bolted out the door, one foot after another and smashed into Cody for the fun of it. “What the-“ he stubbled trying to balance himself as I smashed into Cody with a hug. Unfortunately, we didn’t land well as this was an awkward position to be in, what with me lying on top of him.

I could feel my cheeks rose up with warmth and my heart hammering in my chest, like it was pounding to come out. BANG! BANG! BANG! I looked at Cody, into his green eyes as he lifted his hand to my cheek and was looking at my lips.

He slowly moved forward. My heart was beating faster and faster! “You’re it.” I laughed tagging him on the shoulder before he could kiss me because after all why would he be with me?

I sprinted into the meadow further, leaving Cody with a gobbed- smacked impression on his face. I guess I was playing ‘hard to get’.

The brown grass around me grew longer till the strands of grass were past my body and much higher.  I stopped, my heart pumping with exhaustion, my breathing was out of control. Gosh, I didn’t know I was that unfit.

I waited for a couple of seconds to see if Cody was around or had found me but as the minutes went by he still hadn’t found me. I tried jumping up over the long, strands of grass but I couldn’t see over them. I had to admit, I started to freak out.

I didn’t know how to get back to my house. Do I go left or do I go right. My heart was pumping more. This was not a good position for me to be in. Especially with my epilepsy, considering I haven’t taken my medication.

Cody doesn’t know I suffer from three different diseases, dyslexia, and epilepsy and after my mother died depression. I’m supposed to go to a special school because of my dyslexia I cannot read or write but the school costs a whole heap a term and my foster parents don’t want to spend that much money, nor would they want to spend that much money on me.

My mind likes to wonder, due to my dyslexia and epilepsy. Like I said before, I wake up on a stormy day when everyone else is awake on a sunny day. Well, that stormy day was coming back.

I looked up at the sky, the clouds rapidly appeared, bringing lightning and thunder with them. The rain started to pour down. This usually happens when I’m alone and scared. I would just close my eyes for a second or so and everything would go back to normal.

But everything wasn’t back to normal. The rain poured even more. I just wanted to be in Cody’s arms, safe. “Cody!” I screamed from the top of my lungs. Tears welled over me, I ran once more, back the way I came I think it was anyway.

BOOM!

Went the thunder that shuddered behind the clouds, I ran realising I was going nowhere. My socks were soaking and my foot splashed in the mud puddles that made the water splash onto me. I again plumped my foot into another puddled. With a harsh twist and fall, I collapsed onto the ground, holding myself together as I cried.

“Bonnie?” said a soft voice that tapped me on the shoulder. I lifted my head slowly from my knees that were curled up to my head. I looked up at Cody too see his face, to see it was the sunny day the day had begun not the horrid stormy day.

I curled once more into my knees and sobbed. Maybe he would think I was this crazy person that he would just awkwardly walk away from and pretend he’d never met me.

“Ssh, Ssh.” Cody hushed me as he lifted my into his arms, cradling me into his chest where I sobbed his shirt wet. I hid my face in his chest, knowing that I was safe.

He trampled up the stairs of me house and into my room where he placed me on the bed, tucked up in the blankets. My head was lying in his lap where he held our gaze.

“You’re shivering like crazy, what the hell happened, one moment you were jumpy and hypo and the next you were screaming your lungs out for me?” he said, not in an angry way but confused and most of all worried.

“I got lost?” It sounded more like a question then an answer, he wouldn’t buy it though.

“People don’t act that way when they’re lost.”

I knew I had to tell him the truth, I could already feel my heart falling down to my stomach where it stayed.

I fumbled with my hands. Twining them together then untwining them.

“It started before I came here.” I mumbled. “I lived in California with my Mum, my Dad left my mother when she was pregnant with me.”

I looked up at Cody’s face, his reaction still and normal. “When I was a toddler, I still couldn’t walk, talk or do anything like those till I was four, my mum took me to the doctor but the nurses thought nothing of it.”

Curiosity grew on his face.

“It was then in grade three is when I still could not read a single word nor was write when I found out I diagnosed with dyslexia.”

“One day in grade five I had my first seizure and from then on I had epilepsy”.

“That’s what happened to you in the meadow, it was because of your epilepsy.” Cody whispered, I hadn’t realised but we’ve been whispering.

“Strange things happen to me because of my epilepsy, strange things.” I whispered, I was scared. What happened in the meadow wasn’t normal.

“And so on my mother died is when I started to suffer from depression and my foster parents don’t help make me feel any better.” I huffed, rubbing my bruised cheek.

“They did this to you?” he asked, pointing down to my cheek. I sat up, the blanket still wrapped around me as I faced Cody, who was feeling deeply sorry for me by the looks of his eyes.

“At school I don’t have any friends, I have no one except you, unless you’re going to leave like the others?” I asked, that feeling again like my heart was dropping. I looked at him, in a pleading way hoping he would stay.

He did the unexpected, he rushed his body over to me. One instant I thought he was going to leave but he placed his cheek on my cheek once again, I placed my hand on his hand that was holding my cheek. We looked into each other’s eyes as his lips came crashing down onto mine.