Chapter 2

Chapter 2

“Ahahaha” I laughed out loud to Cody’s story. He was telling me about the time he walked into the girls change room by accident. I enjoyed the pleasure of laughter; it made me happy and made me feel safe.

“So, Bonnie, tell me about yourself considering that I’m doing all the talking” he said with a sly smile. We were lying in the meadow in front of my house and believe it or not he just moved in next door.

“Well, there’s not much to say, actually” I lied, with a cringe. The last time I told someone about my life they backstabbed me; yes I’m talking about Katrina.

“Oh come on, I’m sure there something interesting.” My life was kind of a way interesting, I guess. Poor helpless girl, suffering from dyslexia and depression, dead parents and foster parents that hated me. Yeah, I did have an interesting life that sucked.

“Are you sure you want to enter my life?” I asked, sarcastically but deep inside it was a serious question.

“Sure, try me”.

“Nothings interesting with my life, y’know, just another Tennessee girl”.  He clearly saw through my lie.

“If your life so boring, why were you going to jump off the cliff then?” he asked, he wasn’t going to let this go at all.

I wasn’t going to tell him about my dyslexia. No, no one knows about that, not even my teachers or my foster parents. I don’t really know why I keep that a secret. The only person who knew was my mum.

“Well, my mum is dead-“I stopped short as Cody’s mouth dropped open. I moved on. “And I live with my foster parents but they don’t like me, no one does”. My face drooped. Cody looked at me sad.

“Well, my dad died”. I looked up at Cody who started to speak. “He was murdered by a burglar who was in our house late one night; he took the bullet instead of me”. His face was droopy like mine, his eyes hiding, probably not wanting me to see the tears.

“We used to play catch outside my old home”.

Then at that moment, we both jumped to a yelling voice, a familiar voice yelling. “Okay, I think it’s my cue to leave” I grumbled, looking towards the direction of my house.

“Yeah, I might swell go” Cody mumbled, getting up and brushing the dirt off himself.

I ran towards my house and heard glass crashing to the ground. Things were smashing and voices yelling about me and how ungrateful I am, I walked in slowly as everyone stopped to stare at me.

Maria, my foster mother walked over to me. She stared into my eyes as I stared into her eyes. And in one swift moment her hand belted against my face as I smashed to the ground. My cheek was pounding.

She kneeled down beside me to whisper in my ear.

“You ruined my family; we have no more money because of you!” She yelled down at me, I wasn’t looking at her though. “I don’t care if you cry, no one will feel sorry for you that’s probably why your mother probably abandoned you!” she yelled kneeling down to yell in my ear.

I cried more and more. One tear after another, falling down my face and onto the wooden floor. My hands were shaking as I slowly hopped up from the ground as Maria left. My heart was hammering inside of me. Everything that happened badly was my fault.

I ran up the stairs and into my room, slamming the door behind me. I held my cheek in my hand, leaning against the door. What did Maria mean by ‘that’s probably why your mother abandoned you’? She’s dead, my mother dead.

I curled over in my bed, my quilt keeping me warm. The safest place I felt was under my blanket. I shut my eyes. It was a windy night, the trees outside my window rustling and the wind making whistling.

It was then I stiffened in my bed. I was practically afraid of the dark considering I was just a shadow in life that everyone left behind but I’m sure no one wants to hear any more of that. Noises outside, clattering against my window, I turned over slowly in my bed to face a man clinging onto my window.

My eyes wide open and I rippled out a scream then to realise it was Cody at my window.

I exhaled with relief but it wasn’t usual for someone to be knocking on my window to come in but I let him in.

“Uh… you do realise I have a front door” I said pointing behind me as Cody climbed in.

“I know that, I was just making sure you were alright”.

He must have heard my parents yelling and my foster mother yelling at me.

“You heard, didn’t you?” I mumbled, ashamed of what he must think of my life. I took a seat at the edge of my bed, looking down at my hands as I usually did when I never wanted to look into someone’s eyes, really pathetic actually.

Cody took a seat next to me and wrapped me into a gentle hug.

Another tear slid down my face as a finger whipped it away.

“Hey, don’t cry, Ssh”.

I felt safe with Cody, like nothing could hurt me.

At that exact perfect moment it had to be ruined. Someone was yelling, not Maria or Ken though but I’m guessing Cody’s mum.

“Well, that’s my cue to leave this time” he mumbled. What is with all these parents yelling these days? I could tell Cody was thinking the same thing.

I held onto him tighter, not wanting him to go. He grimaced down at me. “Hey, it’s alright, I made something that we can stay in contact with.” He handed me a plastic cup with a string attached to the back of it, the other end was in his room.

“What’s this?” I asked, fumbling with it in my hands, I’ve never seen anything like this in my life actually.

“You’ll see” Cody said roughly but with a smirk as he climbed down his window.

I Put the cup to my ear and jumped when I heard a voice from inside it, it was Cody!

“Hey, I never thought it would work”.

I let out a giggle.

“Goodnight Cody”.

“Goodnight”.

I laid down on my bed, thinking to myself. What if Cody would leave like the others? I knew if I grow close he would leave, that’s fate for me. Anyways he doesn’t need to become depressed because of me.

I couldn’t be friends with him, if I did he would leave and I’d be hurt. The only way to escape being hurt was to never grow close.