Chapter 7: Explanations are Known, Problems are Solved

Start from the beginning

    I picked a book about the history of the Kingdom of Hampshire. I very rarely read books of this sort, for I mostly read about the sciences and politics. The book was a fairly new book, for it wasn't crumbling and the paper was still white and not yellowing. I searched for a soft chair to lounge in.

    As I walked into the seating area, I was taken by surprise. He was there, reading a manuscript of a book I didn't think had enough excitement. His eyes never left the paper. His hands were trailing across the page at each word. Why does he always have to pop up whenever I want to read a book?

    "I-I didn't expect you to be here." My voice waivered a little.

    "We were interrupted very rudely weren't we?" he said, fingers still trailing over the manuscript. "Why do you seem so anxious? Might I just say, you write well, Princess."

    I don't know why, but my heart just skipped a full beat when he said that. His voice was deep, sultry almost. I was entranced. I woke myself up though. He will not make me fall head over heels over him. He is such a snake charmer.

    "Yes, we were. I am not anxious. And I shunned that manuscript months ago for I assumed that it was not good enough." I replied icily, trying to keep my composure.

    "You do seem nervous. Believe me, Princess, it's worthy of being published. Might I make a suggestion?" His eyes finally raised up to study me.

    I made a gesture that signified yes. His dark eyes bore unto my soul. Dear Lord, I am going mad.

    "Include a little romance in your story, Princess. It's rather cold and full of war. I guess that it's cold because you wrote it?" His eyebrows were raised though his eyes were back to the book.

    "Perhaps. I am not the sort of writer that does such." I don't like that book. I especially don't like romance in any of my books.

    "Now may I ask what you wanted to say to me earlier?" I was losing my patience once again.

    "Oh yes, that. I wanted to tell you that I just found out that you are exactly the friend I thought I lost before, 8 years ago. I just was absolutely happy that I will soon wed you, like promised almost a decade ago. Do you know of how excited I am?" He smirked.

    I dreaded this. At the same time, I felt relieved that I did not have to relate it to  him.

    "Yes. Actually I knew that weeks ago, at the time of our engagement. I didn't exactly tell you because I feared that it gives you more reason to think that I want to marry you." Oh no. It just slipped.

    He smiled. I dreaded that smile. It says ' Thanks for that idea.'

    "So you just gave me more reason to think that you love me. Oh, joy!" He looked at me, and smiled again.

    As usual, I was annoyed by his arrogance. I stormed out. I headed straight to my chamber. I pushed open the wooden doors. I flung myself onto my bed. I started reading.

    As with a lot of books, I finished it rather quickly. But I couldn't concentrate on the book.

    My mind was racing once again with mixed emotions and thoughts.

    Why was I so dumb? Why, in heaven's name, did I even mention it to him? God help me.

    To rid my mind of those thoughts for a while, I tried to sleep it off.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Chapter Break~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    I woke up to Demetria calling me down for supper.