I hated when people were mad at me.

            It always made my insides swirl and gave me a strange sense of nausea when someone was mad at me.

         Over the years I had managed to contain this feelings and instead just think ‘oh well, who cares?’, because you couldn’t afford to get upset in high school, someone was always mad at you in Easton High, whether it was because you banged into them at lunch, scored higher than them in a test or even drunkenly kissed their ex-boyfriend – I had unfortunately done all of these three things, I had managed to brainwash myself so that I didn’t get hurt by the glares and harsh words people sent my way when they were angry.

            Unfortunately, I still hadn’t managed to brainwash myself to not feel guilty when my parents were mad at me. I was sat on the sofa opposite, my knees tucked into my chest and my teeth attacking my bottom lip. They had been glaring at me for the past fifteen minutes, Mum’s ears growing redder and redder by the second and Dad sighing every now and then. My stomach was twisted in knots and my cheeks were red with shame. I was practically begging the ground to swallow me whole.

              “I’m sorry,” I said hoarsely when I couldn’t stand the silence any longer.

            “Oh, you’re sorry?” Mum repeated incredulously, “Sorry for what Jade? Sorry that you lied to us about the party? Sorry you got ridiculously drink or sorry that at three or clock in the morning, that boy, woke us up in the middle of the night to carry you up to your bed!”

             I gulped when I saw the wild look in my Mum’s blue eyes. My Mum was one of those people that didn’t just get angry, she was one of those people that when they were mad, they got even – which meant that after she screamed at me and nearly popped a blood vesicle, I would have a punishment that ensured that I would not want to go to another party in the next fifty years.

           “I-“I swallowed hard as I tried to find a way out of this situation, my shoulders slumped when I realized there was no point trying to talk my way out of this, I would just have to keep my head high and take it like man – except that I was shaking like a leaf because Mum looked like she was considering grabbing a kitchen knife and stabbing me. “I’m sorry.”

            “How could you lie to us?” Mum snapped, her tone laced with hurt, “We trusted you to tell us the truth and you betrayed that trust Jade. You told us you were going to Edward’s party when in fact you were sneaking off to Jared Felton’s party, Jared Felton of all people!”

          “Why is that so bad? What has Jared done?” The question had tumbled out of my mouth without my control.

             I watched as my Mum and Dad exchanged a look before turning back to face me.

            Mum narrowed her eyes, “Is there something going on between you and Jared?”

           “What? Of course not!” I denied quickly.

         I noticed that my parents visibly relaxed, which only increased my curiosity. “Why are you so worried about Jared Felton?” I questioned again.

          Dad sighed and bought his left hand to his temple. He massaged it while he thought about his answer, “He’s just bad news Jade, and he’s been through a lot.”

            “What has he been through?” I exclaimed.

          “Why do you care?” Mum snapped angrily, her eyes piercing into mine as if she were searching for something, “I thought you said there was nothing going on between you.”