jimin gulps, getting up and walking over to the bar in quick steps. he hastily takes a seat, tapping the edges of his fingers nervously against the bar top. this soon earns the attention of none other than choi youngjae, who jumps over and gives him a look that read, what would you like to drink? 

"um, hey," jimin greets, "i'm not... actually here for drinks. just wanted to say that."  

at first, youngjae blinks. but then speaks with, "what are you here for... um—"

"jimin. i'm park jimin." jimin quickly says, "my friend," best friend. "knows jaebum? uh... jaebum, through..." a bitch. "um... actually, never mind. it's complicated." very complicated.

youngjae's eyes light up. jimin couldn't tell if it lit up with the slightest bit of happiness of maybe a bittersweet shade, or perhaps just sheathed, pure sadness. "jaebum?" he mumbles.

"yeah, im jaebum." jimin coughs, "listen, i... i know i'm a stranger to you, but i just have to tell you something."

youngjae looks confused for a moment. just a moment. "go ahead."

"my best friend. min yoongi. you might know him from anywhere. well, he's... he's always been there for me, and i've always been there for him, you know, all that best friend stuff. and i think he deserves the best in the world, really. but the thing is, we went through a fight recently and we're not talking... so much."

"um... what happened?"

jimin laughs nervously. "ah, about that. well. not too long ago, you see, he got a girlfriend. and... she means a lot to him." he chuckles bitterly, "even i feel like i don't matter to him anymore, now that she's here..." he says in a low tone of voice, but then looks up at youngjae with a smile, "...but the thing is, i found out about something related to the said girlfriend."

youngjae visibly flinches. jimin doesn't know why, but he does. "and that is?"

"she's cheating on my best friend." jimin mutters, low enough for only youngjae and he to hear.

and when he doesn't get a reply, jimin looks up. youngjae's... youngjae's giving him some type of look that jimin couldn't quite decipher, but it sent shivers down his spine. a moment of silence passes by, and jimin takes that as his cue to continue.

"and the girlfriend? it's lee jina. i'm sure you've heard of her. and, youngjae-sshi— i didn't want to have to be the one to tell you this, but if nobody were to tell you, i'd be extremely bothered by it. we're not close, we didn't even know about each other a minute ago, but i just." he sighs. "jina's cheating on yoongi. with... with jaebum."

fuck my life.

and again, it's silent between them. 

jimin hesitantly looks up.

his breath hitches at the sight of

his breath hitches at the sight of... youngjae smiling. he's smiling down at the counter top, but it's a small but visible smile. a sad one. a knowing one. and it's scaring jimin, why isn't he reacting? even worse, why is he smiling?

"why is he smiling?" taehyung asks namjoon, who just hushes him.

"i don't know either, taehyung. maybe jimin lightened the mood up with a joke?" he mutters.

"that's stupid." )

youngjae looks at jimin in the eye. "i know."

and jimin breaks a bit. "you... you know?"

youngjae just gives him a short nod. "i know. but thanks for telling me." 

jimin has nothing left to say. "y—you're welcome." he says, but he doesn't know if he should've said that and he starts thinking a lot when he walks back over to the booth with a baffled namjoon and taehyung.

— — —

"he knows?"

"he what?"

"he knows?!"

"how does he know? is he gonna do anything about it?"

"i don't know."

"...hyung, is that half of plan b wrapped up?"

sigh. "i guess it is? it's up to youngjae if he's gonna talk to jaebum about this, but since he knew all this time and yet... they're not even broken up, then... what's happening?"

"that's true, though. they haven't broken up. jaebum's still cheating on him. but like, what. #plottwist."

"taehyung."

"yeah?"

"shut the fuck up and deactivate your twitter."

— — —

ever had a best friend?

you know, someone you could rely on.

you spent countless of hours together. having fun. hanging out casually, going out to parties, having close conversations that consisted of secrets only you two would ever know of. long ass conversations, consisting of either memes, pointless messages, heartfelt ones, or maybe a combination of all of them. the like.

you two had chemistry.

but one day, that best friend of yours... finds someone else.

someone possibly better than you. they never really knew there was someone particularly better than you.

and slowly, they drift away from you.

but you hold on.

five fingers, three, two. down to the pinky, you hold on. you hold on tight.

you don't let them go. they don't notice you as often, you don't feel the friendship between you spark anymore, and yet... you stay.

because you were once their best friend. you once mattered.

and if they were ever to lose their new friends, you'd be there. waiting for them to come back.

it hurts, but you stay.

they're all you've got.

— — —

double that pain.

make 'best friends' into something more.

and what you get? is exactly what choi youngjae feels about im jaebum.

he couldn't let jaebum go. jaebum has abandoned him, maybe. replaced him with jina. ( "i think i'm gay, youngjae—" well, so much for that. )

but every night, jaebum somehow still comes back to him. kisses him on the forehead. and with the strong scent of women's perfume, the hickies that weren't hidden very well, youngjae still finds himself holding onto the very, very thin line of connection he had with jaebum.

because, after all: he's all youngjae's got.

so how was that? as the chapters go by, the story line slowly loses its dramatic effect and the plot gets more pointless. the only thing than can salvage this story is my writing, which is already deteriorating. RIP. :^(