Chapter twenty-six: Not Feeling Well

Beginne am Anfang

   "–kun!" I spin around to find no one.

   "Hello?" I call out in my inside voice. I could feel the echo of the stranger's voice surround me.

   "Akkun!" Only one person calls me that. I start to squint in the direction of the sound.

   "Mom?" I call, but still no sign of her or anyone. I then feel a hand grasp my shoulder and spin me around. I become face to face with my mother.

   "Mom, where are we–?" I'm cut off by her finger and scared expression.

   "Listen Akkun, you mustn't lose control." I blink in confusion. What does she mean?

  "What do you mean? I haven't in for–" she covers my mouth with her hand and stares me deeply in the eyes.

   "I'm serious, your headaches are a sign for something bad. You must keep control." I could tell she was telling the truth from the look on her face. Something's up, something big. I remove her hand from my mouth so I could interrogate her.

"What's going on? Where are we?" She looks around and leans in close to my face. I gulp silently and feel sweat form on my hands.

"Those pills you took were not just pain killers, they allowed me to enter your mind so I could speak to you without being overheard." I was taken aback by her words. Enter my mind? Overheard?? By who??? I put my fingernail to my lips and think for a moment.

"Overheard by whom?" I ask calmly. I see her swallow and her grip on my shoulder relaxes.

"Overheard by..." she stops herself and wonders whether she should continue. I lean in closer and wait for a response.

"By...?" I help her out but she doesn't budge. I try to think of who, but my mind was blank. Then I thought of Hiroomi. Maybe this had something to do with the "uncertain secret" he was keeping from me. I take a deep breath and watch my mother contemplate her words. I then put my hand over her's and sigh.

"Could it possibly be...the Nase family?" I didn't want to think about it. If it was them, then that would mean it was also Hiroomi. And if it was Hiroomi, that could mean he was just watching over me, instead of dating me for real. My imagination took control and I started to feel depressed. Could it all be a scam?

My mother sighed and nodded her head. I lowered mine and she waved her hands to grab my attention back.

   "But you do know that Hiroomi is no longer involved, right?" My ears perk up and my eyes widen. He's...no longer involved? I think back to when he and Mitsuki were hired to watch over me at school. It never felt like it, they always felt like my friends.

  "And you do know he loves you." She knew exactly what I wanted to hear. I finally let go of the oxygen I was holding in for so long. How could I doubt him for a second? Although, he was hiding something from me; either this, or something else. I hugged my mother and patted her back.

   "Thanks for telling me. But," I frowned while still holding her in an embrace. She froze and waited for me to continue.

  "But what were you and Hiroomi talking about?" She stayed frozen and tried to play dumb. I gripped her shoulders and gritted my teeth.

   "I overheard some of it. What is Izumi planning?" Her mouth opened, but nothing came out. She tripped over her words, she was trying hard not to let it out. I pull her out of the embrace and stare her in the eyes.

"What is she planning?" I knew anything that had to do with Izumi, wasn't good. I thought back to the time where my yumo side was almost uncontrollable. My eye twitched from thinking about all the pain I felt from Izumi's attacks. I may be invincible, but I can still feel pain. Yayoi closed her eyes and sighed deeply.

   "She's planning on hiring a bounty hunter...to...to kill you." A tear escaped her eye and her lip quivered. I released her shoulders and let my arms dangle by my side. She's hiring someone else? I grabbed ahold of my stomach to stop the throbbing. There's more pain to come? I feel all the life drain from my body. My mother lets out a shaky breath and continues.

   "But only if you lose control. So please...d-don't lose control." So this was it, the big secret. Although, I will say I'm not entirely shocked just scared of what's to come. If I lose control...I'm done for. I settled myself and took my mother's hands.

    "I won't let my yumo side take over," I said sternly and pulled her in for a hug.

   "I promise." I felt her tears wet my sleeve. She hugged me back and let out a sob.

   "P-Please keep that promise." This was the first time I've seen my mother lose it. I guess the thought of losing me was unbearable to her. I felt my eyes sting. I then closed them and when I opened them, I was back in bed, dealing with my headache again. I sat up and rubbed my head.

    "Your headaches are a sign for something bad. You must keep control." Those words swirled in my brain and I covered my face. I wish Hiroomi was here.

It was like someone heard my thoughts because the next thing I know, Hiroomi is bursting through the doorway with a frantic face. His face settles when he sees me look up from my spot.

   "Oh good, you're awake!" He trots over and jumps onto my bed. He wraps me into a hug and kisses the top of my head.

   "I missed you at school today." He pouts and smiles. I laugh and kiss his soft lips. My headache suddenly vanished when our lips collided.

   "Sorry I didn't come to school. I had an annoying headache." He slides down next to me and cuddles his arms around me.

    "It's okay. If my Akkey isn't feeling well, it's acceptable." I laugh and massage his hair. His warmth was calming, his voice soothing. After a long pause, I decide to talk.

   "I know about Izumi." I whisper softly. I remember what my mother said about being "overheard." I feel his body tense up and he looks up at me with his hazel eyes.

   "H-huh? Y-you do? You're not mad?" He stutters quietly. I shush him and move his hair out of his face.

   "Of course not. As long as this relationship really means something to you, I'm not angry." I wait for his reply. I want him to reassure me of his love. I want him to show me he wants to be with me, for me.

He blinks twice and then moves. He moves his body up towards my face and kisses me passionately on the lips. He brushes my face with his hand and lets go to speak.

   "I love you, Akihito. Don't forget that. Don't let Izumi's plans diminish my love for you. I will protect you from her and anyone at all cost." My eyes shimmer and fill with tears. His words flowed smoothly through my ears and soothed my brain. I press my lips against his and smile.

   "I love you too, Hiroomi."

A/n: sorry for late update! Been busy!

Next update: March 10th