“Since you two are are of an age and size with his Lordship, the gods help me, I suggested the pair of you. So for the remainder of the evening you will be entertaining his lordship and his friend."

Scratch and I exchanged a look, and the overseer must have noted the excitement in our eyes.

"Don't go getting ideas, you little sons of horseshit. I don't care if the game the lordlings are playing is beat-the-stupid-slaves-with-the-nasty-spiked-stick, you will smile and tell them what a lovely job they're doing smashing your faces in. You will not be there to enjoy yourselves, you will be there to see that his lordship does. You will be respectful, you will not speak unless spoken to, and you will under no circumstances reflect poorly on me. If he comes back to me with complaints, I will beat you. If you do not let him win, I will beat you. If I learn you laid a finger on his lordship outside of the game, I will beat you. Am I understood?"

We nodded. The threat of a beating was nothing new. It was always just a matter of time. But the chance to spend an evening in play? Why, we'd never even dared dream such lofty dreams.

Regardless of what the overseer threatened, I meant to make the most of the opportunity, and I knew Scratch would feel the same way.

Ten minutes later, after making a few more threats and waving a cubclub beneath our noses to make his point, the overseer finally led us into the mansion. We were hurried through a series of fancy, carpeted hallways such as I had never seen. Along the walls were hung a series of paintings depicting the Count's family.

I attempted to stop and get a better look, but a smart cuff from the overseer kept me moving. Still, I managed to catch glimpses of neat, ornate sitting rooms and a great deal of well-crafted furniture.

I confess, I gawked. Everything was so clean. It was such a stark contrast from the dingy slave's lifestyle I was accustomed to that, despite all the riches, despite all the opulence strewn about, it was the simple cleanliness which impressed me most. How many slaves must it take to keep everything so spotless? I felt guilty for the tracks my dirty bare feet were leaving behind.

Soon enough we came to an outer hall which ended in the open air courtyard the mansion centered around. On the well-kept grounds in the center, two boys were throwing a ball back and forth. One of them I recognized as the lordling of the estate, Briar. I'd seen him often enough, as he sometimes came out with his father to see how the fields were getting along. The other boy was an unknown, but as he was equally well dressed, I assumed he was the other noble the overseer had mentioned.

As we approached, the pair stopped their game of catch and turned to face us. The overseer urged us out onto the green, pushing me ahead with Scratch just a pace behind.

"This is the best you could find?" asked the boy I didn't recognize.

"The best of a sorry lot, I'm afraid, mi'lord. Can't expect too much from the likes of these. But if you'd prefer I could bring these two back to the fields and fetch another pair..."

Briar brought a hand up. "No, no, that won't be necessary. We've already waited long enough. I'm sure they're the best that could be had."

"I see having them bathed was too much to hope for," the other boy said, wrinkling his nose.

"Mi'lord, nobody said nothing 'bout no bath, if you'd like I can-" he began, but was again interrupted by the young lord Delokay.

"You did precisely as requested, Overseer. They will serve as they are. You have my thanks." He waved a free hand in the air. "You may go."

The overseer bowed, cast a last menacing glance at Scratch and I, and left.

Briar turned to address us. "So. Your names?"